[Mailman3] Mail discussion and e-newsletter lists

Hi all, this package is currently not ready for production use. It currently only supports installationa and removal. There are most likely bugs. There are limitations and there are manual steps required to set it up fully. Please see the README.md below. This announcement thread is currently to see if there are early adopters who would like to help me improve the packaging of this application through testing and feedback. Only install on a development / throw-away environment.

Mailman3 for YunoHost

Integration level
Install Mailman3 with YunoHost

Lire ce readme en français.

This package allow you to install Mailman3 quickly and simply on a YunoHost server.

If you don’t have YunoHost, please see here to know how to install and enjoy it.

Status

Experimental.

Overview

This is GNU Mailman, a mailing list management system distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL) version 3 or later. Mailman is written in Python which is available for all platforms that Mailman is supported on, including GNU/Linux and most other Unix-like operating systems (e.g. Solaris, *BSD, MacOSX, etc.).

GNU Mailman 3.1 - List Member Manual — Mailman Suite 3.3 documentation

Shipped version: 3.2.0

Screenshots

Demo

No user/password is provided, so you must sign up.

Post-installation steps

Setup Admin User

You must configure the admin user:

$ cd /usr/share/mailman3-web
$ python3 manage.py createsuperuser

You should then attempt to log in with this user account in the web UI. Once you’ve logged in, a confirmation mail will be sent to your email address that you specified. Therefore, you should have something like Rainloop installed to view mail on your YunoHost installation.

Setup your main domain

You’ll need to log in as administrator and visit the /admin/site/site.

If you’re Mailman3 is setup on myyunohost.org then that would be the following:

myyunohost.org/admin/site/site

Configure incoming mail

Mailman3 implements an LMTP server for receiving mail from Postfix. This means that Mailman3 doesn’t need anything from Dovecot. This is important to understand because Dovecot is the default YunoHost local delivery agent. Therefore, the default YunoHost Postfix configuration uses Dovecot. So, in order to deliver incoming mail, we need to override which delivery agent handles which mails based on the addresses. In other words, if you create a mailing list “mylist@myyunohost.org” you want Mailman3’s LMTP server to receive this, not Dovecot, becaues Dovecot only delivers to LDAP created user accounts.

You’ll need to add this to your Postfix configuration:

owner_request_special = no

transport_maps =
  hash:/var/lib/mailman3/data/postfix_lmtp

local_recipient_maps =
  hash:/var/lib/mailman3/data/postfix_lmtp

virtual_mailbox_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap-accounts.cf, hash:/var/lib/mailman3/data/postfix_lmtp

And then run:

$ mailman aliases

This is unfortunately a manual step at this point because the package remains experimental. Once it matures, this will be integrated into a hook or the default Postfix configuration. For now, remember that when you run yunohost tools regen-conf postfix or if any installation invokes regen-conf, your Postfix configuration will not be changed because it has diverged from the default configuration. This may cause you problems if YunoHost core expects that there is some new value in your Postfix configuration.

Configure outgoing mail

Postfix relies on using SMTP which should be configured in your /etc/postfix/main.cf.

General Configuration

Mailman3 is made up of 3 moving parts:

There is also documentation for “the suite” which is all the parts together:

On your YunoHost, all the configuration files you need to worry about are in:

• /etc/mailman3/

It is important to note that this package makes use of the mailman3-full Debian package contained in the Debian Stretch backports repository.

Finally, you also configure things through the Django web admin available at /admin/.

YunoHost specific features

Multi-users support

• No LDAP support, all users must sign up themselves

Supported architectures

• x86-64b - Build Status
  • ARMv8-A - Build Status

Limitations

• Migrating from Mailman 2.X is not supported. This is a manual and
    experimental process. Please see the documentation.

• Mailman3 must be configured to use a root domain (myyunohost.org and not myyunohost.org/mailman3).

• You must have a HTTPS certificate installed on the root domain.

• There may be only one installation per YunoHost.

Mirroring

Links

Developers info

Only if you want to use a testing branch for coding, instead of merging directly into master.

Please make your pull request against the testing branch.

To try the testing branch:

$ yunohost app install https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/mailman3_ynh/tree/testing --debug

Or to upgrade from the testing branch:

$ yunohost app upgrade mailman3 -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/mailman3_ynh/tree/testing --debug

Hi, any news about it ? It would be cool to have mailman3 on yunohost. I suppose you didn’t have more time to continue working on the package ? Or maybe the package is already working for you ?

Hi there,

I would also be happy to use mailman3 on yunohost, and after some testing I do get " An error occurred while processing your request." when I try to log-in or create an account.

I have followed the post install steps.

Any news or ideas on that ?

Thank’s in advance

Cheers

Hi, I’m desesperatly trying to reinstall mailman 3 but I have this error
https://elemac.fr/pad/p/r.ac058f86b288f89e3c8a2e890c31ab63
Any help is welcome

Hello @jbonlinea,

same it’s happening to me. Have you found a way to fix it?

Thank you.

Solved in a few steps
sudo apt install mailman3-full python3-mailman-hyperkitty mailman3-full
then
sudo apt autoremove mailman3-full python3-mailman-hyperkitty mailman3-full --purge
then
sudo yunohost app install mailman3

and finalise the changes mentionned in the manual in
/etc/postfix/main.cf

1 Like

Solved in a few steps
sudo apt install mailman3-full python3-mailman-hyperkitty mailman3-full
then
sudo apt autoremove mailman3-full python3-mailman-hyperkitty mailman3-full --purge
then
sudo yunohost app install mailman3

and finalise the changes mentionned in the manual in
/etc/postfix/main.cf

Just wanted to point out, that the “Post-Installation Steps” of the original post of this thread are not included in the Github Readme or elsewhere in the docu of mailman3 for ynh. I think it would be nice to include them there, as one wouldn’t think that there is extra steps to do…

thx

1 Like