Hello Yunohost members

Dear Yunohost members,

I would like to get something off my chest here, especially regarding the help pages in our community.

What good are hundreds of help pages if this information doesn’t reach the users? It feels like we are being referred endlessly from one page to the next.

A lot of the help pages don’t work or it’s not possible to upload error messages, e.g. in the matrix. Even on the Looking for help? | Yunohost Documentation page you don’t get any feedback. It is not even possible to upload an error file.

It is suggested to contact the Libera chat, but even there you can hardly find any help.

I wonder why these problems are not responded to or why so many communication channels are provided when none of them are properly served. Don’t even get me started on the forum, as hardly any feedback is received there.

What are users supposed to make of this? It lacks a point of reference, which is essential in my opinion.

Instead, you are sent from one link corner to the next without any results.

The whole thing is becoming an annoyance for me instead of an actual help.

New bug tracker issues keep popping up without anyone responding to the messages or even noticing them.

This really frustrates me by now. Even if everything is done on a voluntary basis, there should be a point of contact where you can actually get feedback. If that’s not possible, then don’t do it. But then don’t be surprised if the frustration boils over at a later date as in my writing.

In conclusion, I have never experienced such a mess.

I simply wanted to vent and make known my displeasure at this intolerable state of affairs.

Yours sincerely,

Liebe Yunohost-Mitglieder,

ich möchte hier etwas loswerden, insbesondere in Bezug auf die Hilfestellung in unserer Community.

Was nützen uns Hunderte von Hilfeseiten, wenn diese Informationen nicht bei den Nutzern ankommen? Es fühlt sich an, als würden wir endlos von einer Seite zur nächsten verwiesen.

Ein Großteil der Hilfeseiten funktioniert nicht oder es ist nicht möglich, Fehlermeldungen hochzuladen, z.B. in der Matrix. Selbst auf der Seite Looking for help? | Yunohost Documentation bekommt man keine Rückmeldung. Es ist nicht einmal möglich, eine Fehlerdatei hochzuladen.

Es wird vorgeschlagen, sich an den Libera Chat zu wenden, aber auch dort findet man kaum Hilfe.

Ich frage mich, warum auf diese Probleme nicht reagiert wird oder warum so viele Kommunikationskanäle zur Verfügung gestellt werden, wenn keiner von ihnen richtig bedient wird. Von dem Forum möchte ich gar nicht erst anfangen, da dort kaum Rückmeldungen eingehen.

Was sollen die Nutzer davon halten? Es fehlt an einem Anhaltspunkt, der meiner Meinung nach unerlässlich ist.

Stattdessen wird man von einer Link-Ecke zur nächsten geschickt, ohne dass es zu Ergebnissen führt.

Das Ganze wird für mich mittlerweile zu einem Ärgernis anstatt einer tatsächlichen Hilfe.

Immer wieder treten neue Bugtracker-Probleme auf, ohne dass jemand auf die Meldungen reagiert oder sie überhaupt wahrnimmt.

Das frustriert mich mittlerweile wirklich. Auch wenn alles auf freiwilliger Basis geschieht, sollte es einen Anlaufpunkt geben, an dem man tatsächlich eine Rückmeldung erhalten kann. Wenn das nicht möglich ist, dann lasst es sein. Aber wundert euch dann nicht, wenn der Frust zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt wie in meinem Schreiben überkocht.

Abschließend möchte ich sagen, dass ich noch nie ein derartiges Durcheinander erlebt habe.

Ich wollte mir einfach Luft machen und meinen Unmut über diesen unerträglichen Zustand kundtun.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

I always got helped here and on GitHub.

Keep in mind no one works for you…

1 Like

It’s not in my article either. What they’re trying to read into it. Neither did anyone say that an unknown person should work for me. Please leave the church in the village and please read again carefully what I wrote. whether it says it the way you interpret it. Thanks

Steht auch nicht in meinem Artikel. Das, was sie versuchen hinein zu interpretieren. Es hat auch keiner davon gesprochen, dass eine unbekannte Person für mich arbeiten soll. Bitte lassen Sie die Kirche im Dorf und lesen Sie bitte noch einmal genau, wonach ich geschrieben habe. ob das so darin steht, wie Sie es interpretieren. Danke

Yunohost is a niche within a niche within a niche. You can’t expect someone from somewhere to instantly solve your problems. Give it time, try to learn the system, learn from your mistakes, you’ll get better at it; and someday, by dint of work, you’ll turn into an expert, and you will be able to help newbies.

I think that the YunoHost user should also consider himself as a contributor (to the extend of his capability). There is many things in the project to update , correct, translate…
Just do it! :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

3 Likes

I have rebuilt my system more than once, putting a lot of energy and work into it. As you can see from my profile at darknight-coffee, it has been quite a journey. I have considered how I can contribute to the forum, but I have noticed that my inquiries are read without being properly addressed. They are often overlooked or even ignored, at least that’s how it feels to me. You wouldn’t believe how many times I have had to rebuild my system. When something doesn’t work as planned, I have to start all over again, including my blogs and the content I have written. It makes me question whether I am on the right track or if the system I’m using is even the right choice. On the surface, it seems like the right fit, otherwise I could have installed a FreedomBox on a Raspberry Pi. But that’s not what I want. I don’t have a clear solution for how to improve Yunohost yet. I understand that these things take time and development doesn’t happen overnight. It’s a process that spans epochs. But at some point, there should be some progress, at least at a different point in time. Therefore, I encourage you to reconsider the constant cycle of building up and tearing down, especially in my case where it becomes counterproductive. As I mentioned in the link above, my frustration with this situation is evident. That’s why I consider the response I received to be undervalued. The person should have taken the time to familiarize themselves with my profile and how long I’ve been involved before making such statements. Thank you for your response.

ich habe mehr als einmal mein System aufgebaut und mit sehr viel Energie an Arbeit darin steckt. Wie sie das selbst sehen können darknight-coffee Doch
ich habe mir schon überlegt, was an arbeiten ich in das Forum investieren kann, doch sehe ich selbst im Forum, dass meine Anfragen antworten, gelesen, doch nicht mit umgegangen wird, einfach übergangen oder gar ignoriert werden, kommt es mir jedenfalls so vor. Sie glauben nicht, wie oft ich mein System erneut aufgebaut habe, doch wenn ich meine Blogs und das geschriebene später zum Fall wird, das hat nicht geklappt, musst du noch einmal alles neu machen. Dann sollte man sich die Frage selbst stellen, bin ich richtig dabei, oder ist das System, das du nutzt überhaupt das richtige. Vom Ansatz ist es schon das richtige, denn sonst hätte ich mir gar eine FreedemBox auf einem Raspie installieren können. Doch das ist nicht, was ich will. Doch wie, was ich verbessern kann für Yunohost, die Lösung habe ich noch nicht parat. Mir ist völlig klar, dass so etwas dauert, eine Entwicklung nicht von heute auf morgen geht, sondern um Zusagen, es hier um Epochen geht. Doch sollte sich das Ganze mal zeigen, zumindest zu einem anderen Zeitpunkt mal zeigen. Daher sollten Sie selbst noch einmal nachdenken, mit Auf und Abbau oder neu Aufsetzens. Besonders in meinem System ist das kontraproduktiv. Wie ich oben im Link schon gezeigt habe. Daher ist ihre Antwort als unterbewertet anzusehen. Denn sonst hätten Sie sich zu nächst mal schlau gemacht über das Profil, wie lange eigentlich dieser jemand dabei ist. Bevor sie solche aussagen treffen. Danke für ihre antwort.

Sounds like the real issue is a communication problem.

just look at these posts:

They are way too long or cryptic! Who has time to read them?

You can improve :

• Poste title should be meaningful
  • State a specific problem in a few lines
  • If it’s the case, stop using ChatGPT that generate verbose text that nobody want to spend time reading.
  • Usually a simple Google Translate does the job to convert German to English.
  • Open Issues in the app repo when needed.

There are many people here ready to help. you have to help them help you :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Thanks for the hint, but the grammar has to be right and the detail has to be the same. which definitely has nothing to do with ChatGPT.
Nevertheless, thanks for the tip. For them, that means brevity is the spice

Danke für den Hinweis, doch vom Grammatischen muss es passen und von der Ausführlichkeit genauso. das bestimmt nichts mit ChatGPT zu tun hat.
Trotzdem danke für den Tipp. Bei ihnen heißt das also in der Kürze liegt die Würze

I also had my share of disappointments. I had to reinstall Yunohost because of several miscellaneous problems (hardware, software, mistakes). Asking questions, waiting and waiting, until the topics were closed. Before Yunohost, I tried OpenMediaVault, Unraid, Proxmox, considered FreeNas/TrueNas, been looking for other alternatives. But in the end, I always come back to Yunohost. Because it’s the one that matches the most closely to my expectations: all the basic stuff is ready; it’s based on Debian so even if I can’t find answers on the forum or the documentation, I can search on linux/Debian forums; and what I ever find will always make me learn something. Never forget: the best is the enemy of good. When something does work, don’t try to improve it, unless you have a backup/recover strategy, or you are ready to start all over.

3 Likes