We just released a new testing version for YunoHost and would be happy to receive feedback before releasing it as a stable version
For now, this release essentially includes the following major changes:
- Rewrite of the webadmin with Vue.js: The webadmin was entirely rewrote using a modern framework, allowing for miscellanous improvements and opening the door for more cool things in the future! As it is quite an important change, we are looking for feedback on the various UI/UX aspects of the interface to polish it before going stable.
- Python 2 → Python 3: YunoHost is finally transitioned to Python 3 as the internal programming language, considering Python 2 is deprecated for quite some time now! This should be transparent for all users, but is an important change for us and paves the way for the transition to Bullseye, the next Debian version coming this summer. This work was supported by Code Lutin !
- Improved update strategy for nohost.me / noho.st / ynh.fr dyndns domains: if you’re using these domains, you probably noticed a bunch of emails related to failed updates, or that the update commands would pile up and induce slowness. Various tweaks have been done to have a more clever workflow.
- Misc internal improvements and cleanup: behind the scene we’re simplifying the internals of the postinstall, adding new packaging helpers and consolidating the existing ones, cleaning/refactoring various pieces of codes
- Stay tuned ! We have a bunch of other things planned for this release, to be added in the coming days / weeks
Thanks to all contributors ! (Axolotle, Bram, C. Wehrli., C. Mercier, Daniel, Dave, Éric G., Félix P., Flavio C., Kay0u, Krzysztof N., ljf, Manu Bu, Mathieu M., Miloš K., MrMorals, Nils V.Z., panomaki, penguin321, ppr, Quentí, Radek S., Scapharnaum, Sébastien M., Tom_, T. Valiiev, xaloc33, yalh76, Yasss Gurl, Yifei D.)
- [enh] Epic rewrite of the webadmin with Vue.js (YunoHost-admin#316)
- [mod] Python2 → Python3 (Moulinette#228, Moulinette#269, YunoHost#1116)
- [enh] Webadmin UX: improve error handling, redirect to the corresponding log automatically to encourage people sharing the log (YunoHost-admin#330, Moulinette#257, YunoHost#1077, YunoHost#1187)
- [fix] nohost.me / noho.st / ynh.fr dyndns domains: clean old madness, improve update strategy, improve cron management, delete dyndns key upon domain removal (YunoHost#1149)
- [mod] No need for mysql root password anymore, rely on unix auth (YunoHost#912)
- Simplify postinstall internals:
- [i18n] Translations updated for Catalan, Chinese (Simplified), Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Occitan, Russian
Misc fixes / enhancement
- [mod] refactoring, security: Drop legacy-way of passing arguments in hook_exec, prevent exposing secrets in command line args (YunoHost#1096)
- [mod] refactoring: simpler and more consistent logging initialization (YunoHost#1119, Moulinette#263)
- [mod] code-quality: add CI job to auto-format code, fix linter errors, cleanups (YunoHost#1142, YunoHost#1161, YunoHost#1162, Moulinette#268)
- [mod] misc: Prevent the installation of apache2 … (YunoHost#1148)
- [mod] misc: Drop old cache rules for .ms files, not relevant anymore (YunoHost#1150)
- [fix] misc: Abort postinstall if /etc/yunohost/apps ain’t empty (YunoHost#1147)
- [mod] cli/api: Misc command and routes renaming / aliasing (YunoHost#1146)
- [enh] cli: Add a new “yunohost app search” command (YunoHost#1070)
- [enh] cli: Add ‘–remove-apps’ (and ‘–force’) options to “yunohost domain remove” (YunoHost#1125)
- [enh] diagnosis: Report low total space for rootfs (YunoHost#1145)
- [fix] upnp: Handle port closing (YunoHost#1154)
- [enh] helpers: Normalize conf template handling for nginx, php-fpm, systemd and fail2ban using ynh_add_config (YunoHost#1118) (N.B. : packagers are also encouraged to use
ynh_add_configinstead of gazillion number of
- [enh] helpers: Add composer helpers (YunoHost#1090)
- [enh] helpers: Add multimedia helpers and hooks (YunoHost#1129, 47420c62)
- [enh] helpers: Upgrade n to v7.0.2 (YunoHost#1178)
- [enh] helpers: Define YNH_APP_BASEDIR to be able to properly point to conf folder depending on the app script we’re running (YunoHost#1172)
- [fix] helpers, doc: Update template for the new doc (grav) (YunoHost#1167, YunoHost#1168, 59d3e387)
- [enh] helpers: Use jq / output-as json to get info from yunohost commands instead of scraping with grep (YunoHost#1160)
- [fix] helpers: Misc fixes/enh (b85d959d, db93b82b, ce04570b, 07f8d6d7)
How to participate to the beta-testing
DO NOT do this on a critical production server!
From the command line, you can launch the following command to switch to testing:
curl https://install.yunohost.org/switchToTesting | bash
(If you are familiar with bash scripting, you might want to read what this does before blindly running the command)
You should then be running YunoHost 4.2.x. Before using the webadmin, please make sure to force-refresh the cache of your browser.
What to test?
Here are some specific items which are important to check to validate the current work:
- Browse the new webadmin and report any bug or thing that you think should be polished
- If you’re using a nohost.me / noho.st / ynh.fr domain with a dynamic IP, check that the domain still gets indeed updated.
- Possibly, we’re trying to revive the UPnP (an automatic mecanism to forward port from the router). If you’re interested in doing a bunch of tests, please contact us on the dev chatroom.