VPNClient username incompatable with PureVPN username configuration

:uk:/:us: Message template (english)

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Mini PC
YunoHost version: 4.3.5
I have access to my server : Through SSH and through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen | …
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : No
If yes, please explain:

Description of my issue

I have just installed the VPN Client on my YunoHost, with the intention of using PureVPN to impliment private IP. But when I went to fill in my purevpn credentials, I was surprised to find that VPNclient user name requirement is not compatible with PureVPN username configuration.

I am wondering if anyone have encounter this issue before, and how did they resolved it.

Thanks!

Uh yeah it seems odd that it would refuse numbers … @ljf : any opinion on this ?

1 Like

From the openvpn doc

To protect against a client passing a maliciously formed username or password string, the username string must consist only of these characters: alphanumeric, underbar (‘_’), dash (‘-’), dot (‘.’), or at (‘@’).

SO yes number should be accepted.

1 Like

A fix is now waiting for validation/approval: Testing by zamentur · Pull Request #92 · YunoHost-Apps/vpnclient_ynh · GitHub

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this ?
Your purevpn need to have a public static ip with open/forward port features to work with vpnclient.

Thanks for helping with this.
Yes, I have just purchased a dedicated static IP with ports forwarding feature from PureVPN. According to YH recommendation of this page All the dynamic IP provided by my internet provider are blacklisted, hence I’m trying to use a dedicated IP that is not blacklisted.
Hope this answers you question.

Ok perfect.
We will be happy to announce vpnclient works with purevpn in the documentation page you listed. The fix has been merged in the stable version of vpnclient.

So you can upgrade to the new vpnclient version and retry to configure your VPN.
Say us the result, if it doesn’t work we probably can help you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks you so much @ljf and @Aleks for you help with this! It now accepts alphanumeric as username, and I was able to get past the login step, but now running into other problem that I’m trying to work through. I’ll be posting the log file here if I’m unable to work through them, for some help.
Again, much appreciation for your help!

1 Like

The current problem I’ve having now is that the VPNClient service refuses to stay on. It starts and then fails. Here is a link to the log file hastebin
Any idea on why it’s failing?
Also here is the screenshot from the app panel

That’s puzzling, it’s a if the ‘Enable VPN’ toggle was off … but your screenshots shows it’s on …

Could it be that you switched it on without clicking “Save” ?

Otherwise, can you share the output of : grep service_enabled /etc/yunohost/apps/vpnclient/settings.yml

Do you know if your openvpn.conf from purevpn contains the tags ?
Is the CA certificate question appeared the first time you filled the interface ?

I’m afraid, I am not quite conversant with grep usage. :frowning:

I have looked into the code of the CA, it does not contain the tag “?”
It is not at the beginning or at the end.

Important the CA tag should be in the .conf or .ovpn.
If you received a separate file called ca.key, you probably need to fill the CA question (if it appears).

If the CA question is not visible, you can reinit the app by doing:

rm -f /etc/openvpn/client.conf

Next load you .conf/.ovpn file, and at this step complementary questions like CA or private certificate could appears if those info are not directly contained in your .ovpn/.conf.

Tried what you suggested above, it ran but generated other error message this time. Here the errors:

Could it be that the service is not starting due to some permission issue?
Also here is a link to the error log https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/zuxojilavu
Thank you very much for your input this far.

I think we should try to buy a purevpn on our side to test that.
@SSHPermanentAssembly is it ok that i buy a purevpn to be able to determine if it could be compatible and how or to make some fix if it’s possible ?

Okay for me :+1: (assuming it’s not abusively expensive)

1 Like

About 12€ (for 1 month) or 78€/year. 1 month should be enough

1 Like

Wow! I don’t know what to say! Much appreciation and gratitude, for your time and generosity!!

1 Like

OK for me too. :rocket: