Volume group "system" not found (post-install troubles)

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old computer
**YunoHost version:**11.0.9
I have access to my server : Direct access, keyboard and screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

My issue is almost identical to the one described here in French: Gave up waiting for root file system device. Dropping to a shell!

Unlike this individual, I had successfully installed Yunohost in the past, but didn’t get around to working on it - and unfortunately I lost the passwords.

I am a bit too much of a newbie to know my around the initramfs prompt, and I also suspect that the issue is not that the rootdelay is too short because the system does run for a long time without managing to boot. I have now run the whole install twice but I won’t try it again

I am not sure what the best approach is. I know that Yunohost can work, but maybe it’s the install medium? Maybe there is a small fix that can be made on the system, in grub?

I’ve had some time to work on this a little bit more. Basically I’ve found these threads:

Per the second of these threads, I had tried encrypted LVMs. Encryption sounds like a great idea to me. However, if it’s the problem… It’s the problem.

Turns out it IS the problem! I was able to get Yunohost installed with just the full disk - but could there be a better approach that would work for me? (Is it manual partitioning? I am willing to go there if necessary…)

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.