Updates may fail because "Repository [...] changed its 'Suite' value from 'stable' to 'oldstable'"

Dear all,

since a few days and depending on your exact setup, you may experience this error message when attempting to fetch available system updates:

Repository https://[...] changed its 'Suite' value from 'stable' to 'oldstable'

This is due to the recent release of Debian 11 / Bullseye, and as a consequence, Debian 10 / Buster (which is the current default for YunoHost installations) becomes the new “oldstable” from Debian point of view. This causes apt update to return an error because the server’s admin but explicitly agree with this small change.

The most straightforward way to fix it is to run sudo apt update from the command line where you’ll be asked to confirm this change. After this, you should be able to do upgrades as usual (either from the webadmin or command line)

10 Likes

May it be helpful to add this step to the guide?

1 Like

Thank you! Very useful, I could solve the problem! I was wrong because I tried “apt-get update” and this command doesn’t works for me ,but then I read this post and wrote “apt update” pressed enter and my raspberry becomes fully updatable and upgradable!

1 Like