The YunoHost API is not responding after upgrading to 4.2.4 / greenlet.greenlet size changed

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 4.2.4
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen | …
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

After the system upgrade, I got this error:

YunoHost API is not responding
Error: "502" Bad Gateway

Action: "GET" /yunohost/api/installed?locale=en

Error message:

The YunoHost API is not responding. Maybe ‘yunohost-api’ is down or got restarted?

I tried restarting the api service but although it says “success”, it does not fix the issue.

/importlib/_bootstrap.py:219: RuntimeWarning: greenlet.greenlet size changed, may indicate binary incompatibility. Expected 152, got 144
  return f(*args, **kwds)
/usr/lib/python3.7/importlib/_bootstrap.py:219: RuntimeWarning: greenlet.greenlet size changed, may indicate binary incompatibility. Expected 152, got 144
  return f(*args, **kwds)
/usr/lib/python3.7/importlib/_bootstrap.py:219: RuntimeWarning: greenlet.greenlet size changed, may indicate binary incompatibility. Expected 152, got 144
  return f(*args, **kwds)
  return f(*args, **kwds)
  return f(*args, **kwds)
Success! Service 'yunohost-api' restarted

Rebooted the server too, but that didn’t fix it.

I got the same exact error on a second server a few hours ago, and a server reboot fixed it. But not on this server…

1 Like

EDIT: I also submitted to Github The YunoHost API is not responding after upgrading to 4.2.4 · Issue #1793 · YunoHost/issues · GitHub - I am always confused as to where to report such bugs for ynh.

What’s the output of

pip3 freeze | grep greenlet

(On my server I have: greenlet==0.4.15, same version as in dpkg --list | grep greenlet)

greenlet==1.0.0

So mine is a lot newer. I wonder why. This means I should downgrade?

Hmyeah let’s dig further … what’s the output of dpkg --list | grep greenlet

My guess is that something installed a python3-packaged for greenlet globally (instead of inside a virtualenv…)

dpkg --list | grep greenlet
ii  python-greenlet                       0.4.15-2                              amd64        Lightweight in-process concurrent programming
ii  python3-greenlet                      0.4.15-2                              amd64        Lightweight in-process concurrent programming (python3)

As I see the above version looks like the “right” one but not for pip3 freeze | grep greenlet

I am also wondering why are you using such an old version of greenlet ?

We’re just using the version provided by Debian, so that whole question is related to the choice of Debian to go for old-but-stable rather than for example in Archlinux new-but-may-explode-any-moment.

Then again, not sure why this is installed globally. Naively I would try to pip3 remove greenlet (or is it uninstall instead of remove ?)

but can’t guarantee it ain’t gonna make some other app or program explode, because we don’t have the info of what installed it (which again is the reason why these apps / programs ain’t supposed to do this in the first place and should use virtualenvs instead)

1 Like

I see. Shouldn’t I downgrade greenlet instead of nuking it entirely?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In a sense, removing the version installed via pip3 is a downgrade, since it’s going to fallback to the version installed on the system

Alright. That worked. I can access the admin panel. Now lets’ see what apps have exploded, if any. I’ll update here just in case we may discover what app insatlled it wrongly.

Great news, all apps seem to work. Weird what happened to greenlet but well…works now. Thank you very much for the help!

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: System Youno host aim not api found

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.