Preparing to move from 32-bit to 64-bit server: restoring backup

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old laptop or computer
YunoHost version: 4.3.2.2 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I am preparing to move my server from a 32-bit laptop to a 64-bit laptop. I want to make sure that I do things correctly.

1. Back up the old server.
  2. Install 64-bit Yunohost on the new server.
  3. Instead of performing the post-install, restore the backup as indicated in Yunohost documentation.

It is at this third step that I am puzzled. The page above points me to this page, which says to upload my archive (which I have saved on another computer) using this command scp /path/to/your/<archive_name>.tar.gz admin@your.domain.tld:/home/yunohost.backup/archives/.

But when I look at my archives, there are no .tar.gz files. There are .tar and .info.json files.

Should I upload both of these files (the .tar and the .info.json) to the new server, and then run yunohost backup restore <archivename> (without the .tar extension)?

Yes, like for example:

$ sudo yunohost backup restore 20210925-204738

To check the names of the backups, you can run

$ sudo yunohost backup list

after you copied the tar/json pairs to /home/yunohost.backup/archives.

1 Like

Sounds like the documentation ain’t super up to date but nowadays backup archive are .tar by default, not .tar.gz

1 Like

Two–or three–related questions just came to mind. I think they are closely related enough to add here, but I’ll move them into a new topic if the admins deem it necessary:

1. Will restoring a backup made on the current/old (32-bit) server corrupt the installation on the new (64-bit) server?
  2. The installation ISO (downloaded from yunohost.org) is for version 4.1.8, but the backup is from a server that is running version 4.3.2.2. Will restoring this backup corrupt the installation? (Do I need to run sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade on the newly installed instance before restoring the backup from the old server?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

In general no, but, if some apps are borken, i pretty sure if you force the upgrade of the app after the restore it should be ok.

Not sure if the 4.1.8 iso take the last yunohost package or not. But you can run an apt upgrade just after to be sure.

As an anecdote: I moved from Arm 32-bit to AMD64, with no problem I can remember.
The Debian (Armbian) on the Arm machines was Stretch for sure, I think I started with Stretch on the Intel as well and upgraded to Buster.

In your case I guess the 32-bit laptop will be around after the migration, so there is no risk in doing a test migration with a backup of the 32-bit laptop to see how things fare.

True, the old server isn’t going anywhere. The migration to the new hardware appears to have been completely successful, but if I need to go back, I can!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.