[Pi-hole] Network-wide ad blocking

You have surely not enable the Community list ? Can you upgrade it in Command line through a terminal ?
sudo yunohost app upgrade pihole -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/pihole_ynh

(I think it’s this command)

frju365

PS: It’s not an official App.

Hello yes

thank u ça marche

a pars que j’ai pas le numéro de version en bas ?

Oui, “normal”. https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/pihole_ynh/blob/master/scripts/install#L305
Le cron ne fonctionne pas car il va tenter d’utiliser git, mais l’app n’est pas installé à partir de git. Cela nous obligerais à travailler à partir de master.

fantastic, this is great news! i had pi-hole installed on my raspberry… unfortunately my wife wanted to see some ads or wanted the ad links to work… therefore i had to stop pi-hole in our network.

i hope, it will be possible to exclude certain hosts in the future…

Hi schweineoede

What do you mean by “exclude certain hosts” ?

There’s a white list if you want to unblock some ads domains.
And if you want to use pi-hole only for some of your computers, you can simply use the dns parameters of each machine. Depending also of how you’re using Pi-Hole through your network.

thanks for your answer. i want to exclude one laptop from pi-hole filtering in our network at home. for now i edited the dns settings only in the fritzbox. so you mean i can leave the dns in the fritzbox on default and change the dns on each mashine… but does this work for smartphones and tv? are there dns settings?

If you want to exclude only one laptop from Pi-Hole, the better way is to change the DNS of this laptop only and keep PiHole as the dns in your fritzbox.

All your devices will get their dns from the DHCP, so from your box. And you can set another DNS on the laptop to not use PiHole for this device.

Indeed, smartphones and TV can’t change their DNS, unless they’re rooted.

Hi!
I would like to know if it is a good idea to install pi-hole on an Internet Cube. I’m scared it breaks things (vpn-client ?).
Has anyone tried ?

Dear Maniack,

would you please have a look at my question:

https://forum.yunohost.org/t/yunohost-and-pi-hole/8966

Thanks a lot!

I hate to necro a post like this, but I noticed that you said that the dns will return the local address of your server when you go to it. Is there a way to disable that? I run yunohost on a vps, and this is causing problems for me: (see here). I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Hi… Pi-hole is a [DNS Sinkhole], which means that it is used on your network as a DNS server, and will respond with a false address when any browser or other client software attempts to load content from a known advertiser. Pi-hole maintains a set of “blocklists” and in addition we’ve supplemented them with additional blocklists.

fast turn pcb assembly

ENGLISH

OK, so I install PiHole through the YunoHost admin and point my router’s first DNS entry to my YunoHost server internal IP address… and then do I need to configure anything else to get around hairpinning issues?

FRANÇAIS

D’accord, j’installe PiHole via l’administrateur YunoHost et pointe la première entrée DNS de mon routeur vers l’adresse IP interne de mon serveur YunoHost … et dois-je configurer quoi que ce soit d’autre pour résoudre les problèmes de hairpinning?

No it should be enough, now Pi-Hole will resolve your server domain name to your local IP.
If not, have a look to your /etc/hosts.

1 Like

Bonjour,
Je vois que Pi-hole est très puissant et très plaisant.

Cependant je me pose la question d’une utilisation extérieur. En effet je travail beaucoup avec mon ordinateur portable à l’extérieur.

Et j’aimerais profiter de cette protection et de cette liberté à l’extérieur de chez moi.

Je pense qu’il suffit de router le port 53 de la box vers la machine YNH qui héberge l’application pi-hole pour que celui-ci soit accessible depuis mon IP publique.

Mais je me pose les questions ci-dessous :

Est-ce dangereux ?

Est-ce pertinent de vouloir utiliser son DNS Pi-Hole YNH à l’extérieur pour continuer de bénéficier de la protection du Pi-hole ?

Merci pour votre retour.

Cordialement,

2 Likes

I am also interested in this type of Pi-hole setup, essentially as an ad-blocking VPN.

If anyone has experience doing this? I’d like to hear about it!

hello Pihole n’est plus supporter donc plus maintenue que faire ?

du coup vaut mieux l’installer à l’ancienne sur un autre serveur ?

@Issa c’est effectivement ce que j’ai fais.

Ça a nécessité un peu de frais, un petit Raspeberry pi 0 et une carte SD (https://www.kubii.fr/cartes-raspberry-pi/1851-raspberry-pi-zero-w-kubii-3272496006997.html).

Car de mon point de vue je n’aime pas trop bidouiller la plateforme YNH par des installations annexes (qui sait ce qui arrivera en cas de mise à jour :D).

1 Like

Je croyais que pihole n’était plus maintenu, en tous cas c’est ce qu’indique toujours la page de l’app dans l’interface admin, mais il a reçu une mise à jour (et pas des moindres : des 3.3.1 à 5.6 dans mon cas) il y a quelques jours… Quelqu’un a repris le flambeau ? L’admin pihole est par contre un peu pétée depuis : plus de query logs, 0 client, 0 bloquage, pour l’app fonctionne…