New survey after new install of OpenSondage delivers only empty page

Hello Yunohosters,

My YunoHost server

Server Hardware Architektur: bare-metal amd64 (Hardware: PC@home)
Linux-Kernel 5.10.0-27-amd64 (Debian 11.8)
YunoHost version:** 11.2.9.1 (stable)
I have access to my server through SSH | direct access via keyboard / screen;
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

After installing opensondage on my local yunohost server I can enter data on page 1 and 2, but after sending it, i get only an empty page.

If this means anything to you, can you try opening the javascript console after the issue occurs and sharing a screenshot of the errors if there’s anything obvious ?

J’ai exactement le même problème, avec la même configuration et la dernière mise a jour d’opensondage 1.1.19~ynh. Je suis retourné sur la version (sauvegarde) 1.1.17~ynh3 et la ça fonctionne.

The Page delivered by **create_classic_poll.php** is empty (!) - this means there is NO CONTENT between <html> and </html>
The Header contains only a Google Iframe link which is linked to

:is([id*='google_ads_iframe'],
[id*='taboola-'],
.taboolaHeight,
.taboola-placeholder,
#credential_picker_container,
#credentials-picker-container,
#credential_picker_iframe,
[id*='google-one-tap-iframe'],
#google-one-tap-popup-container,
.google-one-tap-modal-div,
#amp_floatingAdDiv,
#ez-content-blocker-container) {
  display:none!important;
  min-height:0!important;
  height:0!important;
}

It looks like installing OpenSondage with Yunohost has actually a PHP-Problem and even a GDPR problem. I don’t like embedding Google Ads without consent and it is not legal in the EU because it violates the GDPR.

If this is “normal” I will remove OpenSondage. Please have a look at your Header? Is there also a link to something like "<link href="data:text/css,%3Ais(%5Bid*%3D'google_ads_iframe'...."> in the header?

I’m not sure you really do understand GDPR, do you …

All you’ve shown is a bunch of CSS referring to HTML ids called google_whatever. This does not transfer anything to Google. I have no idea where this comes from but I highly doubt that the Framasoft folks do write anything that sends stuff to Google by default. I’m actually checking their code right now and the only thing i can find is some sort of Google Oauth plugin which probably isnt enabled by default… In fact if there were, we’d be happy to patch the app such that this stuff gets removed, we’ve done it in the past with other apps. But yeah it’s probably better to immediately jump on big horses and aggressively draw the “GDPR outrage”.

And actually I highly doubt that softwares are or are not “GDPR compliant”. My understanding is that GDPR is not about software, it’s mostly about bureaucratic processes and consent. No software “violates” GDPR, - YOU violate GDPR - if you are an entity providing services to other people without obtaining their consent for specific data collection and informing them about which third party you send them to. YunoHost ain’t a magic DPO, - and no software is. And YunoHost doesn’t provide any guarantee that softwares are GDPR compliant (whatever this may mean), in fact some of them clearly depend on FAANGs since they are literally alternative front-end. But TL;DR: just like it’s your responsibility to check the license implications of the software you install, it’s your responsibility to carefully review whatever private data the app you install may collect and properly obtain consent and inform users about any third party you may be transmitting data to - IF you want to be GDPR compliant. Some people are perfectly fine with installing apps just for them, or don’t think they should care about GDPR.

In a perfect world, the GDPR should rather NOT be about bureaucratic hell getting every small businesses and entities in legal insecurity, and rather be about stopping megacorporations from leveraging network effect to trap people on unlawful platform that monetize their daily lives, resulting in basically 5 megacorps sharing a monopoly over virtually every aspect of contemporary digital life.

2 Likes

Hi Aleks,
I agree that the GDPR is getting us all in legal insecurities, but I think often the software is the reason. No small business owner can analyse the code of each plugin, theme, tool, whatever he uses to organize his business processes. And their budget does not allow to commisson a lawyer with fundamental software skills to check this for him. He must trust the developer and the information about GDPR requirements. The developer has to inform the user about each GDPR relevant fact. I know it is hell - but less hell for a developer who should know, what he is doing, than for the administrator or user of the tools.
I searched for the reason and the origin of the ads-link but didn’t find it in source code and could not reproduce this, so I removed my former post. I don’t want to post false testimony!

the RGPD applies to the final service providers
developers who make their programs available with a license that states they provide no warranty have nothing to do with that, that’s not their job
it’s the final user service provider who has to comply to RGPD, that’s its job
you can’t impose your demands on people who aren’t responsible for them, that’s not how it works

I have the same issue with the empty third page after updating to the newest version.

I got this output on the console:

So there’s an “error 500” … this means that there’s a server-side crash, it would be cool to find the corresponding log and share it. Maybe the PHP service

I checked the logs from different PHP-services deamons running. No entry from that.

Are there addional relevant PHP logs somewhere I could check?

In the application log /var/www/opensondage/admin/stdout.log everthing is fine until the start of the poll. Last entry:
20240125 153151 [CREATE_POLL] id:9CewuWAdqa9mWdlj, title: ...

Hello,

I have the same problem.
Is there a solution to this problem?

I’m making this message so that the subject isn’t closed at D+15 last message.

Thank you very much,

Bonjour,

J’ai le même soucis.
Est-ce qu’il y a eu des réponses pour solutionner le problème?

Je fais ce message pour que le sujet ne soit pas clos Ă  J+15 dernier message.

Un grand merci,
Fred

La seule entrée dans
/var/www/opensondage/admin/stdout.log

est :
20240204 114815 [CREATE_POLL] id:test01, title: test01, format:A, admin:Fred, mail:....

I’ll add that I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled OpenSondage to check that it wasn’t a problem on my end.

Thanks in advance for your answers,

J’ajoute que j’ai désinstallé/réinstallé OpenSondage pour vérifié que ça ne venait pas d’un pb de mon côté.

Merci d’avance pour vos réponses,

Journal de
/var/log/nginx/date.mascobado.org-access.log

https://paste.yunohost.org/mefobuzami.coffeescript

Journal de
/var/log/nginx/date.mascobado.org-error.log

https://paste.yunohost.org/eyeropiraf.cs

2024/02/04 12:34:31 [error] 1934349#1934349: *682412 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught PHPMailer\PHPMailer\Exception: SMTP Error: Could not connect to SMTP host. in /var/www/opensondage/vendor/phpmailer/phpmailer/src/PHPMailer.php:2157
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/opensondage/vendor/phpmailer/phpmailer/src/PHPMailer.php(1981): PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer->smtpConnect()
#1 /var/www/opensondage/vendor/phpmailer/phpmailer/src/PHPMailer.php(1653): PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer->smtpSend()
#2 /var/www/opensondage/vendor/phpmailer/phpmailer/src/PHPMailer.php(1491): PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer->postSend()
#3 /var/www/opensondage/app/classes/Framadate/Services/MailService.php(67): PHPMailer\PHPMailer\PHPMailer->send()
#4 /var/www/opensondage/create_date_poll.php(213): Framadate\Services\MailService->send()
#5 {main}

mouarf oké c’est lié au fait que maintenant l’app est censée envoyer des mails …

Si t’es ok de tester/debugger ça : il faudrait éditer le fichier de conf avec

sudo nano /var/www/opensondage/app/inc/config.php

Trouver cette ligne “auth => false” : https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/opensondage_ynh/blob/master/conf/config.php#L92

et remplacer false par true

puis retenter

C’est peut-être pas ça le problème, il y a peut-être aussi l’histoire de l’hôte, mais déjà essayons ça …

Hello,
Thank you @Aleks .
Is there a service to restart?
Because with just the modification, it does the same thing : white page while confirmation of the sondage.
Thank you for your help.

I’ve also tried changing the configuration of “secure” and “port” to TLS (like the Nextcloud config), but it’s even worse…