Mail send from yunohost end up as spam at receiver

Hi!

I’m a newbie trying to get everything up running on my yunohost.
I have a problem, when I send mail from yunohost it end up as spam at receiver. ( I have tried both gmail and another provider, and also tried sending using both Rainloop & Roundcube)
I think I did setup everything in dns setting correctly.
Can anyone help me?

Regards

@sonic
Welcome to Yunohost.

Please check your mail score on https://mail-tester.com/ . If you get a score of 8-10 and your ip is not in any blacklist then the problem is not on your side. Its the issue with the company you mentioned for obvious reason that they can’t risk to put email to there users inbox for very new servers. Other factors also apply like location of ip, name of domain,etc. With time if people on there server un-mark your email from there spam folder, you will see your email land up in the inbox.

For can try not so famous provider to see if your email goes to the inbox.

OK, here are some results:
9,7/10 score
Negative results only are showed below:

SpamAssassin thinks you can improve

The famous spam filter [SpamAssassin]. Score: -0.3.
A score below -5 is considered spam.

-0.1 [DKIM_SIGNED] Message has a DKIM or DK signature, not necessarily valid
This negative score will become positive if the signature is validated. See immediately below.
0.1 [DKIM_VALID]Message has at least one valid DKIM or DK signature
Great! Your signature is valid
0.1 [DKIM_VALID_AU] Message has a valid DKIM or DK signature from author’s domain
Great! Your signature is valid and it’s coming from your domain name
-0.001 [HTML_MESSAGE] HTML included in message
No worry, that’s expected if you send HTML emails
-0.001 [RCVD_IN_SORBS_DUL] SORBS: sent directly from dynamic IP address
nn.nnn.nn.nn listed in
-0.363 [RDNS_DYNAMIC] Delivered to internal network by host with dynamic-looking rDNS
0.001 [SPF_HELO_PASS] SPF: HELO matches SPF record
0.001 [SPF_PASS] SPF: sender matches SPF record
Great! Your SPF is valid

You’re not fully authenticated

We check if the server you are sending from is authenticated

[SPF] Your server nn.nnn.nn.nn is authorized to use xxxx@xxxxx.xx

Your DKIM signature is valid

Your message passed the DMARC test

Your reverse DNS does not match with your sending domain.

Reverse DNS lookup or reverse DNS resolution (rDNS) is the determination of a domain name that is associated with a given IP address.
Some companies such as AOL will reject any message sent from a server without rDNS, so you must ensure that you have one.
You cannot associate more than one domain name with a single IP address.

Your IP address nn.nnn.nn.nn is associated with the domain nn-nnn-nn-nn-cable.xxxx. net.
Nevertheless your message appears to be sent from ** XXXX.xx** .

You may want to publish a pointer (PTR type) DNS record with a value of ** XXXX.xx** or use nn-nnn-nn-nn-cable.xxxx. net as hostname in your mail software

Here are the tested values for this check:

• IP: nn.nnn.nn.nn
  • HELO: XXXX.xx
  • rDNS: nn-nnn-nn-nn-cable.xxxx. net

Your domain name XXXX.xx is assigned to a mail server.

Your hostname XXXX.xx is assigned to a server.

Can you give me some directions how to solve these things?

• The Spamassasin
  • It’s the rDNS thing
  • The List-Unsubscribe header

Sadly, this is for me the only dark point being a “Yunohoster”.
If you make a forum research using the keyword “Spam”, you’ll see that this problem affects us all…
I did start a topic on this subject with some details if you can understand French

Big email providers don’t like small personal servers (which is the true spirit of email by the way) and don’t respect the international email standards. It’s a fact, we can’t do nothing except try to convince our friends to close their accounts and build their own servers !

There are few things you can do :slight_smile:

1. Setup your reverse DNS. That one is very important. I can help you but you need to tell us : are you on a VPS ? Computer at home ?
  2. Send an email to all your friends and check who has received it one by one, ask them to reply to you, un-spam your message, white-flag you etc…
  3. Register to the Microsoft IP lookup (will help you if any troubles with Hotmail) Smart Network Data Services
    (just for the fun, Microsoft will ask you to register for a microsoft email address…)
  4. WAIT, WAIT, WAIT…

@kanhu is right, you’ll have to be (very) patient.
With time, and good friends white flagging your mail address, un-spamming your messages, replying to you, you’ll see your reliability rate increase slowly. I still have few problems but nothing compared to the beginning.

Needless to say it’s very frustrating and causes some bad surprises with mails lost or never seen by receiver, etc… Bon courage !

1 Like

Hmmm. Thank you for answering.

1. I’m on a computer at home.
    2-4) This is not an option to do that.
    I think then the only usable solution for me will be to host my email somewhere else, it would just have been nice to do it my self.

You can relay your email from one of the companies you mentioned. You just need to little configuration on your server. That way your emails would be going through there server This actually they want you to do. But anyway if you are communicating to people on these big companies then you already loosing the point of secure emailing.

I have just mentioned how to do that on other post. External SMTP relay server for the domain

You can use the mail relay from competitor companies of the big company you have mentioned or use paid service like this one https://www.dnsexit.com/services/email-smtp-relay-outbound/ and even have free relay account for few thousand mail per month from some other third party site like this https://www.mailjet.com/pricing. But beware all your emails will go from there server. Big companies have made a simple process more complex because of there hidden motives.

2 Likes

You could even use email from other provider on Yunohost. This way when you need to send to big email providers you can send from customize account. Other times you can use your Yunohost email. Again this will require little bit of configuration by hand.

Here is an old post explaining this and helping you to manage all emails at one place.

1 Like