Kodi installation error

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Two year old x86
YunoHost version: current
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Dear supporters

After the installation of Kodi nginx fails: hastebin

ANyone an idea about this?

Did you notice

Nov 03 09:09:44 xinit[7237]: (EE)
Nov 03 09:09:44 xinit[7237]: Fatal server error:
Nov 03 09:09:44 xinit[7237]: (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied)

Kodi is a GUI application, it needs some kind of graphical user interface. (Or, is it another Kodi than ex-XBMC?)

I know digitalocean only from command line services. Running Kodi (or any X application) would be possible of course, with the X server on your local machine, but seems a fairly complex solution.

Do you have a desktop environment / GUI running on your DO instance?

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.

Oh, I made a mistake in the initial post: Itā€™s a local server at home, not on digitalocean.com.
I corrected this in the initial post.

Yes, itā€™s the ex-XBMC.

Pity, was a nice experiment :wink:

• Which user is running the show? Yunohostā€™s permissions are quite tight, perhaps that gives a problem.
  • Is there any more information in /var/www/kodi/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log ?
  • Can you start a GUI otherwise?
  • WHY? I meanā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:
    • if you got the option to do so, would you not split this over two physical machines? Yunohost should run 24/7, low power and few resources, while Kodi only when listening music or watching a movie, might be more power hungry depending on stream type and needs more resources that could impact your server.

The admin user.

Iā€™ll share this file here, but this takes some time for me to get it done - Iā€™ll edit this post and add this file.

I donā€™t understand this question. I usually use yunohost over its GUI.

I didnā€™t find Kodi in the Yunohost repository, did you install via Yunohost or directly via Debian?

That is the web GUI, which is a GUI indeed, but seen from the computer it is a text process, more or less.
Kodi needs a desktop environment (and perhaps a window manager), with graphical capacities, such as KDE or Openbox. ā€œJust a desktopā€, so to speak. Can you run Firefox, for example, on your Yunohost? That is, not use your browser to visit the website, but actually start Firefox on the computer that is running Yunohost?

This server runs 24/7 and is my Multimedia Server. Important services I run on a VM on digitalocean.com.
I have the idea to access this media and other services that run on Kodi from other computers in the local network. Maybe even from outside.
Maybe Jellyfin is better for this intention (?), though I guess with Kodi many more services are available.

Installed it via the yunohost gui.

Hereā€™s the github link: https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/kodi_ynh/blob/master/README.md

Ah, I think I understand your question now.
No, it doesnā€™t have a GUI.

I just run the diagnosis tool and found out, that port 8097 is not reachable from outside.

Now I forwarded this port on my router and allow this server the automatic port forwarding.

I access this server from within the same network, so the Kodi Surface should be accessible even though there is this port problem - I guess.

Great :slight_smile:

Which branch did you use? Someone used the ā€˜exampleā€™ branch and the ā€˜testingā€™ branch, and only had success with ā€˜testingā€™

Jellyfin is a mediaserver; Kodi is a mediaplayer.

Kodi (on Yunohost) can play movies on the television that is connected to your Yunohost. The files it plays are either on the computer itself (Yunohost, in this case) or somewhere on the network (made available via SSHFS, SMB, UPnP/DLNA, probably more).

Jellyfin is installed anywhere in the network, for example on a Yunohost. It does not play movies; it can serve them to a mediaplayer (such as Kodi, or your telephone, or Kodi on your telephone), the mediaplayer then shows them on the connected screen.

1 Like

Just noticed, that the Kodi service stops again and again after I restart it: hastebin

Well I guess itā€™s too complicated for me.

Iā€™ll install a raspy with kodi in the living room with Libreelec that accesses my local Yunohost server with the my personal Multimedia.

No, I donā€™t think so. The only thing, I think, is that Kodi is the client/mediaplayer, not a mediaserver!

So if you want to put all your media on Yunohost and be able to view it from anywhere, then you need Jellyfin or minidlna or plain SSH on your Yunohost.

Exactly!

1 Like

My idea was that I configure Kodi with all its services only on one machine (my yunohost server) and then the whole family can access that from several devices, maybe even from outside the network. One surface for everything.

I guess I want too much.

How do I install a desktop environment to yunohost?

Appendix:
What seems a little weird to me: This is the first app that doesnā€™t work after installing from the yunohost GUI. Shouldnā€™t the desktop environment be installed automatically and then start as soon as I click on the Kodi button on the yunohost GUI? If this is not the case, Kodi should be removed or at least it should be mentioned in the readme.
Otherwise this app doesnā€™t meet the idea of yunohost: To have a server even though one is not an IT professional.