An autistic approach to installing YunoHost. (Warning - lots of graphics)

I’ve struck a bit of a problem early on. I’m trying to do the port forwarding, and started at port 22 SSH. My router complained that “this port 22 is used to the Broadband Router SSH server, Please choose other port.” So I went in and disabled all of the monitoring ports for the router itself, so that my ISP (and potential nefarious actors) can’t access the router’s management interface using SSH. When I tried again to port-forward port 22 to the test-fmds.noho.st Raspi device’s port 22, I again got the same warning message from my router.

211216_1206_router-warning-port-22-is-in-use

EDIT: I found the answer to this issue. Apparently my ISP has port filtering enabled by default, but there is a simple toggle option to disable it.

EDIT: I spoke too soon! The mentioned solution didn’t seem to help. I’m still facing a warning of “this port 22 is used to the Broadband Router SSH server, Please choose other port” whenever I try to port forward on port 22. I tested the port-forwarding on port 80, and that worked okay while I had the port filtering toggle option disabled. Until I can resolve this, I’ve turned port filtering back on for now, as a safety precaution.

EDIT: So I set up the port forwarding as much as I could (without port 22), disabled the port filtering, and re-ran the “Ports Exposure” diagnostics in Yunohost. This time the error changed from just complaining about the ports being “…not reachable from outside…” to now saying that they are unreachable “…in IPv6” specifically. I then went to test-ipv6.com and ran that test. The result came back saying that everything was ok except for…

Test if your ISP’s DNS server uses IPv6 bad (1.301s)
Find IPv4 Service Provider timeout (15.224s)

I think the problem here might be CloudFlare, as I am using them as my authoritative DNS. I could disable CloudFlare and use my ISP’s DNS for now, but it will take a while for the DNS changes to propagate. On second thoughts, CloudFlare is only for resolving my custom domain name fmds.geek.nz, isn’t it, which would have nothing at all to do with this? Sorry, I am n00b!