Hosting Yunohost behind VPN

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 at home
YunoHost version: 4.2.8.3
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Hello.
I set up my yunohost server on my raspberry pi 4, using my own ip and ssl certificate, a few days ago and everything is working really well. My only problem is that i cant change the ptr record or reverse dns for my ip. I already messaged my isp and they say they wont change it. Now i am trying to figure out how to host behind a vpn. I have mullvad and surfshark vpn. Does anyone have any tips or tutorials on the matter? I would be very grateful.
Thanks in advance!

I suggest you to read this page: VPN providers | Yunohost Documentation

Don’t forget to give us feedback if you find a working compatible public dedicated ip vpn with a full profit vpn provider

1 Like

I did what you are talking about before:

• get VPS
  • install OpenVPN Access Server
  • DMZ all traffic to your box at home

I did this on Digital Ocean and Hetzner.

1 Like

I am in a similar situation. I have not solved it yet, but started with a budget VPS instead of VPN to host services that need their own port and reverse DNS (mail, Matrix, XMPP, those things).

My intention is to keep those running on the DNS, and run Nexctloud at home via some kind of forwarding construction. I got help from @charly , who used a similar construction as @arkadi

I am more on budged though :slight_smile: My VPS is provided by Inception hosting. Trying to compare I got quite lost on the Digital Ocean website, but I remember their smallest offering is 5 Euro(?)/month. Inception hosting has been reliable in my experience, and has offerings from 2,50 Euro/month (in different locations) for 2CPU/1GB RAM/20GB NVMe/3TB bandwith and, important for me, an IPv4 besides an IPv6 subnet. They have a cheaper option as well, but that one is less attractive in my opinion.

Hi,

If anyone need help to setup his VPN server on a VPS and to forward the traffic to his yunohost at home, just let me know.

See ya

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.