High RAM usage on my OVH VPS

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online (OVH, 2GB RAM VPS)
YunoHost version: 3.8.4.8
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Recently my Yunohost server has been using very high amounts of RAM (oscillating between ~12% and ~7% of by 2GB RAM).
Everything seems to work well, but I had in mind much lower levels of usage before (stable at ~50%). Additionnaly, it’s quite annoying since I receive an email alert from the automatic diagnosis tool each time the RAM usage goes above 90% (can be up to 5 times a day !)

When I launch the diagnosis tool, I see the below summary

• Le système dispose encore de 227 MiB (11%) de RAM sur 1.9 GiB.
  • Le système n’a aucun espace de swap. Vous devriez envisager d’ajouter au moins 512 MiB de swap pour éviter les situations où le système manque de mémoire.
  • L’espace de stockage / (sur le périphérique /dev/sda1 ) a encore 2.5 GiB (27%) espace restant (sur 9.3 GiB) !
  • L’espace de stockage /home (sur le périphérique /dev/sdb1 ) a encore 33 GiB (18%) espace restant (sur 186 GiB) !
  • L’espace de stockage /var (sur le périphérique /dev/sdc1 ) a encore 3.4 GiB (24%) espace restant (sur 14 GiB) !
  • L’espace de stockage /var/www (sur le périphérique /dev/sdd1 ) a encore 22 GiB (79%) espace restant (sur 28 GiB) !

Questions

1. Is there any way to free a bit my RAM usage without rebooting (I’m not even sure rebooting will help)
  2. Is there any way to stop the diagnosis tool from sending its alerts, or to change the threshold value ?
  3. Does anyone here face some high RAM usage since the last Yunohost update ?
  4. Is the absence of swap space normal ?

Thanks in advance

Stopping unused services can be a way to free RAM. It depends on what you have installed on your server, obviously. And yes, rebooting may free RAM lost due to memory leaks, but they are bound to leak again if the same programs are restarted as well.

This I do not know, but I recall you can Ignore alerts on the webadmin?

Personnally, no. And I have the same VPS as you.

Yes, it is optional. But you should maybe follow the diagnosis advice and add one.

You just have to click on “ignore” for this alert if you think this alert is not relevant.

Hi both, thanks for your quick answers.
I will try to reboot and remove unused apps or services.
About the “ignore”, I would like to but for strange reason every time I run the diagnosis tool the RAM goes back to 11 or 12%, so no ignore button is shown. I need to wait and have the “luck” to run out of memory exactly at the same moment as when I run the tool :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.