Extend root partition

My YunoHost server

Hardware: OVH dedicated server
YunoHost version: 11.0.9.15
I have access to my server : Through SSH, through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Hello,
I’m starting get notifications like so:
[ERROR] Storage / (on device /dev/md3) has only 545 MiB (3%) space remaining (out of 18 GiB). You should really consider cleaning up some space!

And I think it could explain some of my ongoing issues.

I can’t remember allocating such few space to / , that feels really small, but here we are.

Here is what I tried already:

• sudo apt autoclean
  • sudo autoremove
  • dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge
  • I followed this and got The filesystem is already 5119728 (4k) blocks long. Nothing to do!

Which now brings me to (df -H):

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev             17G     0   17G   0% /dev
tmpfs           3.4G  2.4M  3.4G   1% /run
/dev/md3         21G   19G  919M  96% /
tmpfs            17G  152k   17G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.3M     0  5.3M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs            17G     0   17G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/md2        511M   55M  425M  12% /boot
/dev/md4        2.0T  672G  1.2T  37% /home
tmpfs           3.4G     0  3.4G   0% /run/user/1007

So my question are:

• Is there anything else to do to free up some space?
  • Is there a way to extend that root partition? I don’t mind at all taking from /dev/md4, but I don’t know how to do that, and I’m a bit afraid to try things on my own (I’m a Linux newbie).

Thank you!

If you have old uneeded backup in /home/yunohost.backup/archives you can clean it:

yunohost backup list

As you have TB free space in /dev/md4, you can use mount --bind to mount specific dir into your /home partition. See Adding an external storage to your server | Yunohost Documentation

Thank you!

Sorry, I should have specified that my /home is already mounted on a different partition.

So it would not affect the available space on / :confused:

Yes but the idea is to identify “big data dir” inside / and to use mount --bind to make this dir to be in the /home/mnt/YOURDIR.

You can identify big dir with ncdu /

Read my link Adding an external storage to your server | Yunohost Documentation

EDIT: you can skip sections 2, 3 and 4 in the documentation i give you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.