Demande à la communauté / Ask the community

Hello,

Since nothing constructive was coming out from some over aggressive previous exchanges, I’ve moved them in another topic after consulting other members of YunoHost.

To go back to the discussion and try to find a solution, here are the 2 solutions to handling apps not present in our lists (that would be the case for non-free apps for example) that have arised from the discussion:

• you can already install an app using the github url (or git cloning locally and “yunohost app install /path/to/git/repo”), this is not perfect but it’s already there and working. One of the problem is that you won’t get updates
  • the other solution is that a group of people joined together and create another (or more) apps list like we do with community and official lists.

If some people actually consider create their own app list, it’s not something especially hard (but you’ll probably want to stay in touch we us as things evolved from time to time but we, for now, have always take care about keeping backward compatibility).

It looks like that:

• create another app list in json somewhere in the fashion of official.json or community.json
  • run the python script list_builder.py this way: python list_builder.py the_list.json
  • this will give a file the_list-build.json
  • make this file available through https, people will then be able to add it to their YunoHost using the link to this file
  • you’ll probably want to automate the building of the list, we do that using this script in a crontab (every few minutes)

There are more things around that like translations but that’s not needed.

If some of you decide to go this way, please try to be in touch with me since I’m generally the one (but not only) evolving this toolchain and I have plan in mid-terms to change the translation mechanism for apps.

I hope we can get back to a more constructive discussion regarding this subject forward one or more solution.

(EDIT: this reply doesn’t mean we can’t think of other solutions)

7 Likes