A discord server ? / Un serveur discord?

:uk: Hello.

have you thought about creating a discord server? it’s. still. convenient to exchange quickly around a subject.
i opened one on linux beginner, and we have 550 members…

so i know : it’s not opensource, but it’s a quick and easy way for non initiates…

if you are interested, I’m willing to help you.

:fr: bonjour.

avez vous songe a creer un serveur discord ? c’est. quand meme pratique pour echanger rapidement autour d’un sujet.
j’en ai ouvert un sur le theme linux debutant, et on a 550 membres…

alors je sais : c’est pas opensource, mais c’est une porte d’entree facile et rapide pour les non inities…

si cela vous tente, je suis partant pour vous y aider.

:uk: Since there are already instant chat rooms, and based on free tools, I don’t see why giving a little more power to a non-free tool.

The direct links (knowing that all are mirrors of the others):

• Matrix (#yunohost:libera.chat using Element)
  • IRC (#yunohost on libera.chat, using Kiwiirc)
  • XMPP (support@conference.yunohost.org)

:fr: Vu qu’il y a déjà des salons de discution instantannés, et basés sur des outils libres, je ne vois pas pourquoi donner un peu plus de puissance à un outil non-libre.

Les liens directs (sachant que tous sont des mirroirs des autres) :

5 Likes

:uk: why does the shopkeeper pay more to set up in a busy street?

The problem I raise is not the lack of free tools … but how to attract the customer to more respectful solutions …
And there are not 15 solutions … you have to go and get him where he is…

That’s exactly what I did when I opened my discord … I didn’t like it either, but the fact is that there are people there who could potentially be interested in learning.

The fact is that discord is a very popular service … that people are on it for various activities, so it’s easy for them to get an extra icon if they are interested in the adventure …

:fr: pourquoi le commercant paye plus cher pour s’installer dans une rue passante ?

La problematique que je souleve, n’est pas le manque d’outils libres … mais comment attirer le chalan vers des solutions plus respectueuse …
Et y’a pas 15 solutions … faut aller le dermarcher la ou il se trouve…

C’est exactement le constat que j’ai fait quand j’ai ouvert mon discord … moi non plus, ca m’a pas plu, mais le fait est que c’est la qu’il y a des gens qui potentiellement peuvent etre interessés pour s’y mettre, et pour apprendre.

Le fait est que discord est un service ultra populaire … que les gens sont dessus pour diverses activités, et qu’il est donc facile pour eux d’avoir une icone de plus si l’aventure les interesse …

:uk: But for what already exists, there is no need to create an account anywhere, and even that it is accessible via a browser without installing anything :smiley:

But of course, all this is just my opinion :slight_smile:

:fr: Mais pour ce qui est déjà existant, il n’y a même pas besoin de se créer un compte où que ce soit, et même que c’est accessible via un navigateur sans rien installer :smiley:

Mais bien sûr, tout ça n’est que mon avis :slight_smile:

1 Like

:uk: discord is also accessible via browser …
so yes, you have to create an account, but in fact people already use it …
And to self-certify under IRC/matrix (and not have guest status anymore) you need an account too …

After that, I’m not here to play “who’s got the biggest” …
The bottom of my message (that you seem to ignore voluntarily … which reminds me some “bearded” of the great era), is that there are people, and that it would allow to discover the wonderful world of self-hosting to people …

:fr: discord aussi est accessible via navigateur …
alors oui, il faut se crée un compte, mais en fait les gens l’utilisent deja …
Et pour s’authetifier sous IRC/matrix (et ne plus avoir le statut d’invité) il faut aussi un compte …

Apres, j’suis pas la pour jouer a “qui a la plus grosse” …
Le fond de mon message (que tu semble volontairement ignorer … ce qui me rapelle certains “barbus” de la grande epoque), c’est que y’a du monde, et que ca permetrais de faire decouvrir le merveilleu monde de l’auto hebergement a des gens …

A good start to promote how great open source is, is to use open source software. Matrix being great and open source there is no need to go for a proprietary solution…

7 Likes

so we continue to make ad only for already convinced people… no problem

We could also host our servers and services on AWS, it’s so convenient! But we don’t do it because it would discredit our message, bearded or not :wink:

4 Likes

that’s not the point i was talking about … i don’t say that discord is better than matrix… or more convenient.
but the point with discord is make ad to people that does not use open source software …

We can use matrix, that is great, but it is used only by people that already using open source software …
So, if we want to make “ad” and show many people how open source and self hosting is great, we must go to tell them … if we wait, they will continue to just use google calendar and play fortnite …

If a fortnite player come to us and try to connect matrix, the first reaction will be to run away, and never come back …

If we open a door on tool that they already use, we can attract them

the message is great, i agree with that … my point is : only conviced people can ear it, cause we only speak to them.
And with this configuration, the message is useless … convinced people do not need to be more convinced…

i think i’ve already explained why i defend discord … if an admin want to talk about it, i’m here, but i’ll stop explaining myself.

Maybe you can create an “unnoficial” YunoHost discord and test ?

Maybe you can create an “unnoficial” YunoHost discord and test ?

This is maybe not a good idea… We already had a “unnoficial” YunoHost Matrix room that created quite a confusion.

2 Likes

i agree, this is not a good idea …

I don’t think discord (a chat/audio platform) is the good place to advertize the project. I mean people who come on a chat platform are not here to discover the project but already to discuss or to ask questions.

On the other side twitter has a reshare feature allowing to transform each twitter user into an advisor… So this social media is perfect to discover the project… But it’s proprietary.

I share here a charter (in french) for a moderate usage of proprietary social media. This charter was originally written by a french non profit organization against all kind of ads (Résistance à l’Agression Publicitaire) in order to avoid to strengthen private social media when an organization use it to advertize its work.

[FR] Charte pour une utilisation modérée des médias sociaux publicitaires | Alsace Réseau Neutre - Fournisseur d'Accès à Internet associatif en Alsace
(translation in progress)

So with discord we won’t be able to avoid exclusive content produce on it… So it could strengthen Discord, so we should not use it in anyway… And i agree with @Kayou and @ericg, it could discredit our message.

4 Likes

from my experience, with linux4noobs (my discord server), there is many people seaching for a conveignant door …
but it’s your project, no problem with your choices …
I can only tell you what i’ve done and how good it’s working.

i’m proud to say that i got many new user that comes to linux, helped by my comunity .

1 Like

:england:
Then there can be a matrix in the main server and link it to a discord server to gather the maximum number of people.

I agree that to make people discover a project it is necessary to use conventional networks, but it is not necessary to make it the main media.

People don’t discover yunohost on peertube but on youtube for example.

The problem with bridges is that they make all conversations unencrypted. On the other hand it really allows to gather all the people in the same place.

:fr:
Après il peut y avoir un Matrix en serveur principal et le lier a un serveur Discord pour réunir le max de monde .

Je suis d’accord sur le fait que pour faire découvrir un projet il faut malheureusement utiliser les réseaux conventionnels, par contre pas obligé d’en faire le média principal.

Les gens ne découvre pas Yunohost sur Peertube mais bien sur Youtube par exemple.

Le problème des ponts est qu’il rend toutes conversations non chiffrées. Par contre il permet vraiment de réunir tous les gens au même endroit.

1 Like

I don’t want to sound like a boomer, but I have been seeing how a lot of projects have been moving from what would be forums to Discord servers and it is a mess. Most of the information is not public, and the only way you can get information or help about something is by waiting for someone with the knowledge to come online.

This forum works great with IRC/Matrix Chat as most people simultaneously ask on the forum and ask on the chat. This information is then archived because of how forums work.

To give my own example, I am not active on IRC or Matrix, but I do have enough time to open the forum page and look at the questions, to try and see if I can help. If our primary mode would become Discord for example, I would not have enough time to scroll through all the messages and see if there are unanswered questions.

Also, I believe the entire point of this project is to empower the user to use Open Source software and to reduce the reliance on “Big Tech”. Encouraging people to use Discord, while we have a perfect replacement in IRC/Matrix goes against that in my opinion.

5 Likes

To give my own example, I am
The problem is not about you own usage … you prefer forum, you’re right !
the problem is : where can we contact a maximum of people that don’t know / is not involved in open source ?

This forum works great with IRC/Matrix
We don’t compare the quality of each solution … it’s not the point.

If our primary mode would become Discord
Nobody want that … i don’t want that.

Also, I believe the entire point of this project is to empower the user to use Open Source software and to reduce the reliance on “Big Tech”. Encouraging people to use Discord, while we have a perfect replacement in IRC/Matrix goes against that in my opinion.
That is the point you don’t understand … my idea is not to replace forum/matrix to go to discord …
my idea is the exact oposite … open a discord server to encourage people to come on the forum and the matrix … and encourage people to come to open source software…
Actually we make ad (not only yuno, but many very good open source project) only to people that already use open source software … so, in fact, we make ad only for a few people …
And most of people don’t know/care about them.
If we can talk to these people, i’m sure many will begin to use open source … and i know it cause i’ve tried it, and i see it work.

An exemple : in my own discord, we talk about linux, neewbies oriented, and raspberry pi.
I got many different person, from the strick beginer to devops (and some white/black hat … )
Yunohost is an “old” project … stable, and efficent.
And i am the only one who know about it … even linux user don’t know about this good project… and make their server from scratch.
And if they don’t know it, they can’t talk about it to newbies.

well, when they get bored setting up their server from scratch, they will come to YunoHost :sweat_smile:

1 Like

that’s the point … i’ll talk about it in my discord server, cause i think yuno is a very good tool …
in fact, i’ve installed my py many time by hand … last time i made a mistake i got to reinstall it, and that was a good occasion to try yuno … and i’m very happy with it !
That’s why i want as many as possible person to know about it!

Salut je reviens vers toi, car pour la communauté que je gère j’aimerais aussi me passer de discord.

Je ne vais pas te refaire toute la discussion présente dans ce sujet, mais j’ai trouvé une alternative FOSS compatible avec Discord, cela veut dire que les utilisateurs discord et les bots Discord sont compatibles.

C’est un projet en Bêta encore, mais ç’a le mérite d’exister.

Je vais peut-être me servir de ce service pour essayer de packager ma première app Yunohost.

FossCord

1 Like