We just released a new testing version for YunoHost and would be happy to receive feedback before releasing it as a stable version
For now, this release essentially includes the following major changes:
New unified application list: until now, apps were separated in two categories: officials and community. For various reasons this has proven to not be so efficient (the responsibility behind ‘official’ apps was not so clear, and users had to install the special community list to be able to install community apps). We are replacing this system with a new unified list containing all the community and (previously) officials apps. We are also dropping the concept of official apps to be replaced with a more flexible “high-quality” and level 8 apps. Starting with this version, you will find that you have now directly access to all apps without having to add a new application list. The application ‘store’ view also got updated such that the status of apps should be a bit clearer.
Fix UX for self-upgrades: you might have find that upgrading YunoHost through the webadmin or through
yunohost tools upgradewas confusing as it sometimes told you that the upgrade would be “delayed until the next hour”. (This was so weird that, as developers of the project, we ended up advising people to use the good old
apt dist-upgrade). In this version, we reworked how yunohost self-upgrades to hopefully make it more clear and remove this weird behavior. Starting with this version we will recommend again to simply upgrade from the webadmin.
Simplify UX by getting rid of the weird necessity to enter the admin password for some operations: you might have noticed that some operations through CLI (such as adding a new user) was asking you to enter the administration password, despite being already connected admin or root… This is no longer the case and should simplify the user experience (and also allows us to simplify some pieces of code).
Manpage and bash completion for command line: until now there wasn’t any bash completion for YunoHost (or it was buggy?). There is now a mechanism to provide such auto completion, and it will automatically be kept up to date as command line evolves. This should make the life of command line users a bit more easy. A manpage has also been integrated in Yunohost (also generated automatically!).
Some progress on the app actions and app config panel, which will in the future provide the ability to change settings and reconfigure some apps (e.g. change the public/private status). For now this is still an experimental feature, but getting close to ready for the show!
Improved translations for Catalan, Occitan, French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic
Thanks to all contributors: advocatux, Aleks, Benoît, Bram, ButterflyOfFire, C. Vuillot, Josue, J. Maulny, Guillaume R, Kayou, L. Noferini, Maniack, Maximilien, MCMic, L. Murphy, M. Thiel, opi, Quentí, R. du Song, Sylkevicious, ljf, locness3, toitoinebzh, xaloc33, yalh76!
- [enh] Simplify the whole LDAP interface thing (YunoHost#721, Moulinette#183)
- [enh] Rework how system upgrade and self-upgrade are handled (YunoHost#692, YunoHost-admin#240, YunoHost@158aa08)
- [enh] Properly reimplement bash completion for yunohost cli (YunoHost#678)
- [enh] Migrate to apps.json / use it as default list, and update the “application market” view (YunoHost#666, YunoHost#665, YunoHost-admin#242)
- [enh] Decouple the regen-conf mechanism from services (this paves the way for other later improvements) (YunoHost#653)
- [fix] Add mechanism to automatically detect and redact passwords from operation logs (YunoHost#742)
- [enh] Add manpage for Yunohost ! (YunoHost#682)
- [enh] Significant progress on the app actions and app config panel (still in experimental stage for now) (YunoHost#732, YunoHost#734, YunoHost#739, YunoHost#744)
- [i18n] Update translations for Catalan, Occitan, French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic
- [mod] Set min version to 3.5.0 for helpers (YunoHost#725)
- [enh] Add helpers for sso config (YunoHost#720)
- [enh] Reorganize helpers (YunoHost#717)
- [enh] Add the ongoing part to the progression bar when using ynh_script_progression (YunoHost#715)
- [fix] postgresql helpers : force disconnection of all clients connected to the database (YunoHost#713)
- [enh] Use printers in helpers (YunoHost#712)
- [enh] Use ynh_systemd_action in helpers (YunoHost#711)
- [fix] Fix extraction of weight value for ynh_script_progression (YunoHost#710)
- [enh] Add support for ynh_setup_source in restore script (YunoHost#703)
- [mod] Move applist management to Tools section (YunoHost-admin#248)
- [fix] Update acme-tiny to 4.0.4 (YunoHost#740)
- [enh] Add current and new version on update screen (YunoHost#735, YunoHost-admin#735)
- [fix] Backup delete should delete symlink target (YunoHost#738)
- [enh] Add a do_not_backup_data app setting to avoid backing up data (YunoHost#731)
- [enh] Nice bootstrap progress bars in the webadmin during app operations (c.f.
- [enh] Display the current version in app infos (YunoHost#730, YunoHost-admin#246)
- [fix] Add indexes for fields listed by slapd in the logs (YunoHost#729)
- [fix] Allow to display logs when postinstall fails (YunoHost#728)
- [fix] Stupid issue with files inside tar : foo is not the same as ./foo (YunoHost#726)
- [enh] Remove unecessary log messages (YunoHost#724)
- [fix] Do not show URL if app doesn’t have one (YunoHost-admin#247)
- [fix] Set minlength/maxlength on admin password form (YunoHost-admin#245)
- [fix] Update censurfridns ipv6 (YunoHost#727)
- [enh] Optimize ynh_script_progression (YunoHost#723)
- [enh] Disable VRFY command in Postfix command (YunoHost#722)
- [enh] Add a --with-details option for log list (YunoHost#716)
- [enh] Specify -a parameter on dovecot lda for Sieve (YunoHost#709)
- [fix] Fix an issue with config panels following changes in hook_exec (YunoHost#707)
- [enh] Don’t expose LDAP server to the outside world (YunoHost#706)
- [fix] Remove backup hook warning about cron file (YunoHost#704)
- [enh] Update nginx conf to handle WebSocket proxying (YunoHost#701)
- [enh] Add size of apps in backup_info result (YunoHost#699)
- [enh] Add a setting to remove support for TLSv1 and TLSv1.1 in Postfix (YunoHost#696)
- [enh] Mark YunoHost as essential to avoid removing it inadvertenly (YunoHost#694)
- [enh] Avoid to send simultaneously too many emails (YunoHost#691)
- [enh] Dump log when an app script fails in CLI to help with debugging (YunoHost#687)
- [enh] Improve log list in webadmin (YunoHost-admin#241)
- [fix] Buggy template for app actions (YunoHost-admin#239)
- [enh] Add apps infos in backup info view (YunoHost-admin#236)
- [enh] Better wording for mail backup description (YunoHost-admin/49c15ab)
- [fix] Fix ‘last update’ refresh icon in app list (YunoHost-admin/9ac324b)
- [fix] ‘unable to write random state’ during debian postinst step (YunoHost-admin/aa65dac)
- [fix] Fix portal tile in some multi-domain context (SSOwat#136)
- [fix] Prevent duplicate portal button when app uses iframes (SSOwat#137)
- [fix] Clean migration screen a bit (YunoHost-admin/b4ed005)
- [enh] Add LDIF parsing utility (Moulinette#201)
- [fix] Many small technical fixes (YunoHost#741, YunoHost#733, ec48edf, 251a338, d11d31d, 3668bf7, c7eb5bb, 9b08afc, cecaee4, 95fdfb3, 2bc0deb, d0c982a, …)
How to participate to the beta-testing
Do not do this on a critical production server!
From the command line, you can launch the following command to switch to testing:
curl https://install.yunohost.org/switchToTesting | bash
(If you are familiar with bash scripting, you might want to read what this does before blindly running the command)
After this command, you should be running YunoHost 3.6.0.
What to test?
Here are some specific items which are important to check to validate the current work:
- upgrade an existing instance and check that migrations are successfully applied
- check that everything seems to work okay (including the SSO portal, installed apps, email stack, installing a new app, …)
- test the bash completion for
yunohostcommands (e.g. try to type
yunohost u[Tab]and it should be automatically complete to
user…) (You might need to re-log in the terminal for it to be effective?)
yunohost tools regen-confand see if there’s any error?
- try to use
yunohost user create: no admin password should be asked before having to enter the user info
- during the coming weeks or months, please try to upgrade the system or apps through the webadmin instead of
yunohost app upgrade) and see if the whole procedure and messages are ~ understandable (especially when self-upgrading yunohost)