YunoHost 3.6 testing / Call for feedback

Hello everyone!

We just released a new testing version for YunoHost and would be happy to receive feedback before releasing it as a stable version :yum:

For now, this release essentially includes the following major changes:

• New unified application list: until now, apps were separated in two categories: officials and community. For various reasons this has proven to not be so efficient (the responsibility behind ā€˜officialā€™ apps was not so clear, and users had to install the special community list to be able to install community apps). We are replacing this system with a new unified list containing all the community and (previously) officials apps. We are also dropping the concept of official apps to be replaced with a more flexible ā€œhigh-qualityā€ and level 8 apps. Starting with this version, you will find that you have now directly access to all apps without having to add a new application list. The application ā€˜storeā€™ view also got updated such that the status of apps should be a bit clearer.

• Fix UX for self-upgrades: you might have find that upgrading YunoHost through the webadmin or through yunohost tools upgrade was confusing as it sometimes told you that the upgrade would be ā€œdelayed until the next hourā€. (This was so weird that, as developers of the project, we ended up advising people to use the good old apt dist-upgrade). In this version, we reworked how yunohost self-upgrades to hopefully make it more clear and remove this weird behavior. Starting with this version we will recommend again to simply upgrade from the webadmin.

• Simplify UX by getting rid of the weird necessity to enter the admin password for some operations: you might have noticed that some operations through CLI (such as adding a new user) was asking you to enter the administration password, despite being already connected admin or rootā€¦ This is no longer the case and should simplify the user experience (and also allows us to simplify some pieces of code).

• Manpage and bash completion for command line: until now there wasnā€™t any bash completion for YunoHost (or it was buggy?). There is now a mechanism to provide such auto completion, and it will automatically be kept up to date as command line evolves. This should make the life of command line users a bit more easy. A manpage has also been integrated in Yunohost (also generated automatically!).

• Some progress on the app actions and app config panel, which will in the future provide the ability to change settings and reconfigure some apps (e.g. change the public/private status). For now this is still an experimental feature, but getting close to ready for the show!

• Improved translations for Catalan, Occitan, French, Italian, Spanish, Arabic

Thanks to all contributors: advocatux, Aleks, BenoƮt, Bram, ButterflyOfFire, C. Vuillot, Josue, J. Maulny, Guillaume R, Kayou, L. Noferini, Maniack, Maximilien, MCMic, L. Murphy, M. Thiel, opi, Quentƭ, R. du Song, Sylkevicious, ljf, locness3, toitoinebzh, xaloc33, yalh76! :heart:

:hammer_and_wrench: Detailed changelog

Major changes

App helpers

• [mod] Set min version to 3.5.0 for helpers (YunoHost#725)
  • [enh] Add helpers for sso config (YunoHost#720)
  • [enh] Reorganize helpers (YunoHost#717)
  • [enh] Add the ongoing part to the progression bar when using ynh_script_progression (YunoHost#715)
  • [fix] postgresql helpers : force disconnection of all clients connected to the database (YunoHost#713)
  • [enh] Use printers in helpers (YunoHost#712)
  • [enh] Use ynh_systemd_action in helpers (YunoHost#711)
  • [fix] Fix extraction of weight value for ynh_script_progression (YunoHost#710)
  • [enh] Add support for ynh_setup_source in restore script (YunoHost#703)

Other changes

How to participate to the beta-testing :construction_worker_woman: :construction_worker_man:

:warning: Do not do this on a critical production server!

From the command line, you can launch the following command to switch to testing:

curl https://install.yunohost.org/switchToTesting | bash

(If you are familiar with bash scripting, you might want to read what this does before blindly running the command)

After this command, you should be running YunoHost 3.6.0.

What to test? :space_invader: :telescope:

Here are some specific items which are important to check to validate the current work:

• upgrade an existing instance and check that migrations are successfully applied
  • check that everything seems to work okay (including the SSO portal, installed apps, email stack, installing a new app, ā€¦)
  • test the bash completion for yunohost commands (e.g. try to type yunohost u[Tab] and it should be automatically complete to userā€¦) (You might need to re-log in the terminal for it to be effective?)
  • run yunohost tools regen-conf and see if thereā€™s any error?
  • try to use yunohost user create: no admin password should be asked before having to enter the user info
  • during the coming weeks or months, please try to upgrade the system or apps through the webadmin instead of apt dist-upgrade (or yunohost app upgrade) and see if the whole procedure and messages are ~ understandable (especially when self-upgrading yunohost)
7 Likes

Bonjour,

Abort lors de la tentative dā€™ installation

root@debian:~# curl https://install.yunohost.org/switchToTesting | bash
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 459 100 459 0 0 1388 0 --:ā€“:-- --:ā€“:-- --:ā€“:-- 1390

Patching sources.list to enable testing repositoryā€¦

Running ā€˜apt-get updateā€™

Ign:1 Index of /debian/ stretch InRelease
Hit:2 Index of /debian-security stretch/updates InRelease
Hit:3 Index of /debian/ stretch InRelease
Hit:4 Index of /debian/ stretch-updates InRelease
Hit:5 Index of /debian/ stretch Release
Reading package listsā€¦ Done

Running ā€˜apt-get dist-upgradeā€™

Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
Calculating upgradeā€¦ Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
moulinette ssowat yunohost yunohost-admin
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 62.5 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Abort.
root@debian:~#

1 Like

Puis :

• apt update
  • apt dist-upgrade

et Ƨa fonctionne !

Building dependency tree
Reading state informationā€¦ Done
Calculating upgradeā€¦ Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
moulinette ssowat yunohost yunohost-admin
4 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 10.1 MB of archives.
After this operation, 62.5 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
Get:1 http://forge.yunohost.org/debian stretch/testing i386 moulinette all 3.6.0 [63.9 kB]
Get:2 http://forge.yunohost.org/debian stretch/testing i386 ssowat all 3.6.0 [741 kB]
Get:3 http://forge.yunohost.org/debian stretch/testing i386 yunohost all 3.6.0 [713 kB]
Get:4 http://forge.yunohost.org/debian stretch/testing i386 yunohost-admin all 3.6.0 [8,589 kB]
Fetched 10.1 MB in 16s (622 kB/s)
Reading changelogsā€¦ Done
(Reading database ā€¦ 138072 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack ā€¦/moulinette_3.6.0_all.deb ā€¦
Unpacking moulinette (3.6.0) over (3.5.2) ā€¦
Setting up moulinette (3.6.0) ā€¦
Preparing to unpack ā€¦/archives/ssowat_3.6.0_all.deb ā€¦
Unpacking ssowat (3.6.0) over (3.5.2.1) ā€¦
Setting up ssowat (3.6.0) ā€¦
Preparing to unpack ā€¦/yunohost_3.6.0_all.deb ā€¦
Unpacking yunohost (3.6.0) over (3.5.2.2) ā€¦
Setting up yunohost (3.6.0) ā€¦
Installing new version of config file /etc/bash_completion.d/yunohost ā€¦
Regenerating configuration, this might take a whileā€¦
Success! The configuration has been updated for category ā€˜nginxā€™
Success! The configuration has been updated for category ā€˜postfixā€™
Success! The configuration has been updated for category ā€˜dnsmasqā€™
Success! The configuration has been updated for category ā€˜slapdā€™
Launching migrationsā€¦
Info: Running migration 9 decouple_regenconf_from_servicesā€¦
Warning: This migration already happened somehow ? Skipping.
Success! Successfully ran migration 9 decouple_regenconf_from_services!
Info: Running migration 10 migrate_to_apps_jsonā€¦
Success! The application list yunohost has been removed
Success! The application list yunohost has been fetched
Success! Successfully ran migration 10 migrate_to_apps_json!
Restarting YunoHost firewallā€¦
(Reading database ā€¦ 138078 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack ā€¦/yunohost-admin_3.6.0_all.deb ā€¦
Unpacking yunohost-admin (3.6.0) over (3.5.2) ā€¦
Processing triggers for systemd (232-25+deb9u11) ā€¦
Setting up yunohost-admin (3.6.0) ā€¦

1 Like

Hello,

I have trying the switch Stable to Testing on a Raspberry Pi 3B, so :

• upgrade an existing instance and check that migrations are successfully applied
    => 3.5.2.2 Stable to 3.6.0 Testing : It Works !
    Details : hastebin

• check that everything seems to work okay (including the SSO portal, installed apps, email stack, installing a new app, ā€¦)
    => Connexion to SSO portal : It Works !
    => Installed Custom Webapp : It Works ! (and FileZilla too)
    => Send and receive mail with Rainloop : It Works ! (already installed before upgrade)

• test the bash completion for yunohost commands (e.g. try to type yunohost u[Tab] and it should be automatically complete to user ā€¦) (You might need to re-log in the terminal for it to be effective?)
    => Donā€™t test it before logout, but after a re-log : It Doesnā€™t Work :frowning:

• run yunohost tools regen-conf and see if thereā€™s any error?
    => No error reported : It Works ! (just 2 warnings because of my configuration : add a relay in postfix and a custom ssh port in fail2ban)

• try to use yunohost user create : no admin password should be asked before having to enter the user info
    => It Works but ā€¦ (ask for First name ; Last name ; Email address ; Password ; Confirm password)

Warning: sudo: setfacl: command not found
Error: Script execution failed: /etc/yunohost/hooks.d/post_user_create/50-ynh_media
Details : hastebin

• during the coming weeks or months, please try to upgrade the system or apps through the webadmin instead of apt dist-upgrade (or yunohost app upgrade ) and see if the whole procedure and messages are ~ understandable (especially when self-upgrading yunohost)
    => Iā€™ll keep in testing branch wait and see :wink:

ppr

5 Likes

Just upgraded.
Everything seems to work so far!
Thanks for the awesome work!

2 Likes

A new iteration (3.6.1) was released!

The main highlight is a small update of the ā€œapp marketā€ view (the list of installable apps), following the migration to the new unified app list. We hope that the changes will make it easier to understand the status of an app. Feel free to provide your feedback on this change in particular!

To testers of the 3.6.x: this is also a good occasion to test (and provide feedback on) the self-upgrade from the webadmin instead of the old dist-upgrade! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The iteration contains other misc fixes and improvements - the changelog in the initial post was updated accordingly.

Cheers!

1 Like

I have a little issue with v3.6.1:

I have no name!@ynh:~$ pwd                                                                                                         
/home/admin                                                                                                                                                                                                            

I have I have no name! Instead of the admin user.

Uh, interesting ā€¦ Can you check the status of slapd ? Does yunohost tools regen-conf slapd tells anything in particular ?

I didnā€™t manage to found any sldap or ldap service.

And this command does not tells anything.

But what about slapd ?

Ah, yeah, wrong spelling, it is running.

Iā€™m able to reproduce the issue ā€¦ I also noticed that I was unable to login through LDAP user (so root is working but not admin or other ynh users).

Seems related to this entry in slapd log :

slap_global_control: unrecognized control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.27.8.5.1

Iā€™m investigating the issue

1 Like

Yep, same here:

systemctl status slapd
ā— slapd.service - LSB: OpenLDAP standalone server (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol)
  Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/slapd; generated; vendor preset: enabled)
  Active: active (running) since Tue 2019-06-04 13:55:58 CEST; 26min ago
    Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
   Tasks: 6 (limit: 4915)
  CGroup: /system.slice/slapd.service
          ā””ā”€5346 /usr/sbin/slapd -h ldap://127.0.0.1:389/ ldap://[::1]:389/ ldapi:/// -g openldap -u openldap -F /etc/ldap/slapd.d

Jun 04 14:11:55 ynh slapd[5346]: slap_global_control: unrecognized control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.27.8.5.1                              
Jun 04 14:11:55 ynh slapd[5346]: connection_input: conn=1041 deferring operation: binding                                          
Jun 04 14:12:28 ynh slapd[5346]: slap_global_control: unrecognized control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.27.8.5.1                              
Jun 04 14:12:28 ynh slapd[5346]: connection_input: conn=1044 deferring operation: binding                                          
Jun 04 14:13:01 ynh slapd[5346]: slap_global_control: unrecognized control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.27.8.5.1                              
Jun 04 14:13:01 ynh slapd[5346]: connection_input: conn=1045 deferring operation: binding                                          
Jun 04 14:14:45 ynh slapd[5346]: <= mdb_substring_candidates: (mail) not indexed                                                   
Jun 04 14:14:45 ynh slapd[5346]: <= mdb_substring_candidates: (mail) not indexed                                                   
Jun 04 14:18:37 ynh slapd[5346]: slap_global_control: unrecognized control: 1.3.6.1.4.1.42.2.27.8.5.1                              
Jun 04 14:18:37 ynh slapd[5346]: connection_input: conn=1057 deferring operation: binding                                         

I had a strange dist-upgrade from CLI.
At the middle of the upgrade of the four packages, my ssh connection got broken.
I restarted a ssh connection, and the upgrade process was still proceeding, and went till the end, as all versions now are 3.6.1.
I am not sure if it linked to this issue. But, that could help.

Follow-up here : https://github.com/YunoHost/yunohost/pull/729#issuecomment-498656262

1 Like

Thank you! Fixed on my side :+1:

Pushed a hotfix for it in 3.6.1.1 :+1: !

So Iā€™m seeing a troublesome issue that, after the upgrade through the webadmin, dpkg says it actually got interrupted and I should run dpkg --configure -a (and yunohost-admin in fact didnā€™t get upgraded ā€¦ because the upgrade of the yunohost package crashed somehowā€¦)

Also, the admin user was no longer sudoer.
I hope it is only happening in my case, and not for direct installs in 3.6.1.1.