Yu NO more OpenVPN?

So I started from thew beginning as you state some topic about TIPS on installing OpenVPN, only to find-out that it will not install and spits an error about an outdated thing.

1st why yu No do any mention of that on gift hub?

2nd…
giphy-3

3rd, any alternatives?

Not sure I understand the first two questions, so I’ll answer the 3rd : https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/wireguard_ynh wireguard is nowadays more often recommended than OpenVPN for VPNs. You’re in luck, it’s packaged for yunohost (with a nice web ui)

Not sure what you mean exactly because I don’t know if you’re talking about vpnserver or vpnclient …

• Vpnclient should work and is available as level 7 app in the catalog - no need to go through github. If the install fails then that’s a bug.
  • Vpnserver is not functional and not available in the app catalog. If you try to install the app using a custom repo, Yunohost at some points warns you that you probably shouldn’t do that. There’s no mention on github because … well … if somebody packages a random app on Github, we can’t force that person to put a big warning saying it’s broken … it’s just that you ain’t really supposed to install random apps from Github in the first place :confused:

Beware though that it’s still flagged as “in progress” and not in the official app catalog either. Technical reason is that it depends on the Kernel 5.x so it’s a bit touchy that installing this app would upgrade your kernel to a new major version :s

1 Like

giphy-8
FYI I found an other solution to host my own VPN :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.