[WireGuard Client] Connect your server to VPNs

WireGuard client for YunoHost

CI update pending

Integration level

WireGuard® is an extremely simple yet fast and modern VPN that utilizes state-of-the-art cryptography. It aims to be faster, simpler, leaner, and more useful than IPsec, while avoiding the massive headache. It intends to be considerably more performant than OpenVPN.
https://www.wireguard.com/

Features

This is a special app, as all its magic happens through its configuration panel within the YunoHost webadmin.

Installation

This WireGuard Client package can be installed through:

• Install WireGuard Client with YunoHost
  • YunoHost’s webadmin, in the Community listing
  • YunoHost’s CLI: yunohost app install wireguard_client.

After installation, open your browser to WireGuard’s configuration panel in the webadmin.

Configuration

The first part of the configuration panel is a table summarizing the status of the VPN interfaces created by the app.

To add new interfaces:

1. List them in the List of VPN clients to handle. Click on Save to regenerate the configuration panel with the new interfaces.

2. Choose if the interface should be started at boot.

3. Upload the .conf file provided by the Wireguard Server.

:warning: Be wary of:

• the PostUp and PostDown instructions, they are run as root.
  • the AllowedIPs, especially 0.0.0.0/0 and/or ::/0, as they will make your server redirect all its outgoing traffic through the VPN. Make sure the VPN works before enforcing them.

Documentation

YunoHost specific features

Multi-user support

All users belonging to the admins group will have access to the configuration panel.

Supported architectures

All the ones supported by WireGuard.

Links

Troubleshooting

Open a new thread in the Support category of this forum.

If a missing feature or bug is well identified, you can go directly to Github. Remember to add your logs and error messages to help us help you help us all. :robot:

4 Likes

Hello and thanks for this. One question though; How will i be able to access Yunohost remotely? Supposedly if my wireguard server offers a static ip. Should also be a port open to access? Does this mean that any app will be accessed through that open port?

1 Like

as @HoldMyGin

please, how this affects server connectivity for external public services like webapp, im, etc.?

thanks

Hello, can this app be a complement to this one especially for the post part?

It should be able to do the same thing, but @rungeard :s post is then showing all the NAT-rules etc.

1 Like

Could be cool to integrate the rules editing with yunohost ui.

@HoldMyGin @ghose It all depends on the configuration. If it contains a route to 0.0.0.0 or firewall rules are added, it could definitely affect your services.

1 Like

Bon et bien j’ai pu mix les deux sans trop de problème.
Sauf que le répertoire n’est plus le même.

J’avais juste deux services qui tournait en même temps, j’ai disable un service en laissé celui créé par l’app ynh.

Tout fonctionne.

Hi, I don’t really understand if this app also install wireguard, or if I need to install wireguard on my server along with this app ?
I try to connect a home server through a VPN to bypass my ISP limitations, but i’m struggling with the configuration…

The app installs the wireguard dependency : https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/wireguard_client_ynh/blob/64e803b646f3eed2541cdfd592fdf1795925e00a/manifest.toml#L39

If you need help, you are welcome to open a dedicated thread. :slight_smile: