Willing to pay for help setting up a new domain name

I am not able to figure out what is the problem? Are you not able to configure DNS? Which ports are blocked? Why is the ssh connection lost?

1 Like

Hi :slight_smile:

My ISP blocks incoming connections on port 80. This is why I can’t get a letsencrypt cert the normal way. I can’t do DNS challenge because I have a nohost.me domain.

I bought another domain, thinking I could point it at my server, and edit the DNS records, but I couldn’t figure it out by myself :frowning:

I don’t know what happened to my SSH connection. Before I left on this long trip, I set up SSH keys, and disabled password login. It was working at first, but now it doesn’t. I don’t know why. I just get ‘connection refused’. Nmap says the port I use (53) is closed.

Thanks for your interest :slight_smile:

You should change the internet provider or use a vpn which don’t block the ports. Someone told me about the vpn configuration which worked, but I don’t remember now.

You need to specific with your problem. There are lot of articles on internet about this issue.

I don’t think port 53 is used for ssh. I have no idea why this is not working again for you.

1 Like

Well, I have no idea about dynamic DNS, but I think I can help you with the DNS records… I think… I have domains at IONOS too (former 1&1). And it wasn’t too complicated… you just need to create new A records with the domain name pointing to the IP address. I could make a screenshot if you still need it.

1 Like

Can you use your domain to point to the nohost domain?
Like yunohost.yourdomain.ltd points to abcde.nohost.me so you can use _acme-challenge.example.com for authentification?

1 Like

kanhu,

Unfortunately, I cannot change ISP. In my area, I am already using the best of two bad options. The only way for me to unblock the ports is to purchase ‘business’ internet from my ISP, which would lower my speed and is ridiculously expensive (3 year contract, $100 installation fee, and $100/month). I did look into running a VPN on an Amazon VPS, but I really got overwhelmed.

It’s hard to be very specific right now as I’ve been away from the problem for awhile, but it seems like each registrar had a different configuration for the records. I didn’t find an article that addressed my specific situation, and I’m not knowledgeable enough to infer the correct settings. The other part of this problem was (I think) setting up dynamic dns for the new domain.

I’m pretty sure I set SSH to 53, because my router monopolizes 22 for itself, and refuses to forward it to anything else. Besides that, it was definitely working :slight_smile:

Ferdimator,

Thank you for the kind offer. As I said, I am away from my server (and no SSH access currently) for a few more weeks. When I get home, I will definitely take you up on it :smiley:

mr_smithers,

I don’t know. That sounds like a nice solution. I think that means that I don’t have to worry about dynamic dns for the new domain (since the nohost one is already configured)? Would I even need SSH access to my server to do that?

You also need no SSH access to set the DNS records for your domain purchased through 1&1 IONOS. You just need access to the control center of IONOS: https://login.ionos.com/ There you navigate to your domain options where you can set the DNS records for all domain names you own.

1 Like

Yes, but since I have a dynamic IP address, I need to setup a dynamic dns service on my server to report to ionos, right? Or can I just tell my ionos domain to point to my nohost.me domain? And then figure out the acme challenge? Sorry if I seem totally lost, haha. I knew more about this stuff a month ago, but I’m not sure I really understood it :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh yeah that’s a whole different story :confounded: Sorry, I can’t help you with dynamic DNS. I have only ever done static IPs before. :thinking: but that’s super easy. So easy that you might want to consider using a $5 per month cloud server. That’s how I do all my Yunohost servers and it’s really quick and easy. :grimacing:

2 Likes

@yunolearning

You can find this helpful : https://www.dnsexit.com/services/free-dynamic-dns-service/

2 Likes

No worries, thanks anyways :slight_smile: I am confused about something though… Yunohost currently manages my dynamic IP for my nohost.me domain. If I simply point my new domain at the nohost.me one (DNS redirect?), then I don’t need to setup another dynamic dns updater right? I just need to somehow have letsencrypt issue a cert to my new domain? Will that certificate actually apply to my server? I’m very confused, haha.

Thanks, I will check it out when I get back home. I was trying something similar, I think:

Hello :slight_smile:
I have been trying to setup a netlib.re domain. I added the domain (myname.netlib.re) in the yunohost web admin. Then I downloaded the dynamicdns perl script from netlib.re. I have edited it to what I think is the correct settings, and placed it in my crontab. I have also manually run the script, but I am unable to connect to myname.netlib.re in the browser. Is there a step I’m forgetting? Here is the an example of the perl dns script:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
use warnings;
use v5.14;

use MIME::Base64 qw(encode_base64);

# the website sending your current IP address
our $checkip = "http://t.karchnu.fr/ip.php";

# Domain name of the service provider (like netlib.re)
our $nddservice = "netlib.re";

# Your domain
our $domain = "netlib.re";

# Login and password to connect to the website
our $login = "myloginname";
our $pass = "mypassword";

# Your entry to change
#
# here, the entry is www.test.netlib.re
# put "@" in $name to change your $type record on $domain directly
our $name = 'myname';
our $type = 'A';    # could be AAAA

our $wget = `which wget`; chomp $wget;
die "There is no wget on this computer." unless $wget;

sub get_ip {
    my $typeip = ($type =~ /AAAA/) ? '-6' : '-4';
    my $cmd = "wget $typeip -nv -O - $checkip";
    say "get IP : $cmd";
    for (split "\n", `$cmd`) {
        /^[0-9.]+$/ || /^[0-9a-f:]+$/ and return $_
    }
    undef
}

sub update {
    my $ip = get_ip;
    die "Can't get your IP address !" unless $ip;

say "UPDATE :: domain $name.$domain => IP $ip, type $type";
    my $passb64 = encode_base64($pass);
    chomp $passb64;

my $cmd = "$wget -O - ";
   $cmd .=
    "https://$nddservice/domain/cliup/$login/$passb64/$domain/$name/$type/$ip";
    say "CMD :: $cmd";
    `$cmd`;
}

update;

Have I done this right?

Edit:
So, after some trial and error, I got the DNS cofigured at netlib.re (except it doesn’t like the SRV record priority set to 0. Their default is 10)
Now, my name seems to resolve, but it is just a blank page. I was expecting to see my yunohost page.

Edit 2:
Looking ahead to the letsencrypt dns challenge, I don’t see where netlib.re has a TXT field for me to edit.

As much as I would like to keep my server at home, I am totally unable to figure this problem out… and I’m considering renting a cloud server. Do you store all your files on the cloud server, or do you have them at home (remote shares?). If you have them at home, are they at a dynamic or static ip address? I am guessing dynamic address will cause problems for remote storage…
Also, what cloud service do you use?

I have successfully implemented dynamic ip with Free Dynamic DNS services for Dynamic IP

See here: Working vps providers with yunohost

1 Like

Thanks for the link to the VPS thread. I am definitely looking to do things that way, which will hopefully solve my problems. This is essentially what I think I’m trying to accomplish. Please tell me if this is the wrong way to look at it, and/or point me to relevant reading:

Is this relatively straightforward? Are there simple solutions to this type of setup? I appreciate you taking the time to help me here, thank you :slight_smile:

Hi
Did you get a letsencrypt certificate on dynamic dns?

Hi, wow, this is an old thread :smiley:

What I ended up with, is a $5/month VPS which runs a wireguard vpn server. I have it pass all traffic via wireguard tunnel to my home server. I set my DNS records to point to the VPS IP address. In this way, I was able to obtain a letsencrypt cert for my home server. Basically, I had to bypass my ISP port blocks. Not so much a matter of dynamic IP, but blocked incoming traffic on port 80 (http). Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

I had a similiar issue with no access to external IP address on a shitty ISP and this is what I did to get around it:

-got VPS
-installed OpenVPN Open Access server
-forwarded all ports of VPN to my home yunohost server How to setup DMZ in OpenVPN Access Server | OpenVPN

1 Like