Weird high load

@Aleks have a question47
I have high load on the server that host Yunohost. There is no other app on the server and the pattern is every 20 min.
would you know what process could create this? any idea - how to avoid this, that cause regular slowness.
I don’t see any task every min in the std crontab
advise would be great here

Not really … twenty minutes seems like an odd frequency …

On the other hand what’s the unit on the Y axis of your graph ? Is the peak value 2 ~ 2.5% percent ? Or is it something else than % ? (Otherwise I’d not really consider 2.5% to be high load…)

Could be an app with a cron task, or a monitoring tools ?

the scale is load 2.5 not percent
could it be a monitoring tool or a db?

thanks for the hint but any idea where to look to find out

But 2.5 what. If it’s not percent, is it number of CPU used ? Is it megawatt ? Is it GB ?

Edit: got my answer from man uptime I think:

System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken over the three time intervals. Load averages are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load average of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4 CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time.

I had exactly the same problem a few months ago.
After some search, the load was from mysql, while storing data for the monitoring tool :grin:
I removed it and switched to monitorix, I still have little peaks (same thing, mysql), but a lot less heavy.

1 Like

HI @Mamie - you are right , i removed netdata and deployed monitorix , no more high spikes
all sorted around 8:40

netdata is not adpated for single servers and make spikes every 20min that slow down all others app - to be removed

Monitorix is lighter but will still create load.
Install it only if you need it.
Netdata is overkill in our configuration, for others it is usefull 🤷