VPN provider for self-hosting in North America?

Update: I was able to make some progress by using a .opvn config file from VPN Area. It’s still not clear if YunoHost will work with their service. I will close this thread and for anyone reading this later, the saga continues here: How to use Let'sEncrypt Certificates created without port 80 using acme.sh?

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Raspberry Pi at home
YunoHost version: 11.1.18
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen |
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I am trying to find a known compatible VPN provider that has Dedicated IP addresses in Canada. I signed up for VPNArea and when they set up the Dedicated IP they just gave me the IP address and no configuration file(s).

So I emailed VPNArea’s support, and while I am waiting for a response, I went digging through their site and just saw this:

How to get port-forwarding on some ports for your Dedicated IP? Which ports are not allowed?
Last Updated 4 years ago
We can port forward almost any ports to your dedicated IP except ports 22, 25, 993 and 80.
The dedicated IPs are not intended to serve as a front for a web server or a mail server as this is largely associated with abuse.
If you’re a business and you have a legitimate reason to request the port forwarding of those specific ports please let us know and we’ll try to accommodate you.

Doesn’t sound very promising :confused:

Edit: see my response below. They were able to send me a .ovpn file

So I am wondering: are there any other Canadian/North American users who have successfully found a VPN provider that allows them to self-host a website and/or federated social media instance? Or am I better off using a cloud server? I was really hoping to use this pi400 for it :frowning:

Why does it have to be canadian ? If it’s a VPN with fixed ipv4 & v6 you need, it can be from anywhere arround the world. Like a member of the french federation of associative Internet Service Providers.

from VPN providers | Yunohost Documentation

These options may meet your needs (not tested) →

Otherwise I had made a tuto on how to make a VPN server yourself and in this case you will just need a VPN provider in Canada. See Homemade WireGuard VPN on a VPS server

Thanks for responding.

I guess the reason I asked is that many of these services will not refund the cost of a dedicated IP address subscription.

If I can avoid it, I’d prefer to not lose another $50+ on something I cannot use! So I am hoping that someone else can verify that there is a working option.

The VPN is really just for me to be able to host the machine at home safely. If I understand the guide you provided, I would be using a VPS - which makes me think that using a VPS and no VPN might be the better option in my case.

Thanks again for your response :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for responding.

Yes, that’s true. My assumption was that a server from far away will result in slower speeds. But if I can’t get this one fully working I will definitely look at that. Thanks :slight_smile:

OK!

Luckily VPN Area was able to send me a .ovpn file for the dedicated IP.

Still waiting on a response for opening port 80. (Do I actually need it open? Or is 443 enough?)

Things I learned, that others may also want to try:

1. In order to login, I needed to SSH to my server and run this multiple times:
sudo systemd-tty-ask-password-agent
  1. I followed this guide to automate the login process on boot:
    How to Connect to a VPN Automatically on Linux - Make Tech Easier

Will update if they allow me to open port 80, or with other issues.

Thanks again to those who responded.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.