Using YH as overall system (server, raspberry and laptop)

Hi

New here as Yunohost looks fantastic and maybe the candidate, some thoughts and questions:

Due to the fact that I am fairly tired of using different systems for different hardware with different ways of working, maintenance and backup, I have been on a multi use system quest for a while now. :wink:

From what I have read so far, YH looks like an ideal candidate for this idea.

So my questions:

• Would it be possible, with some modifications, to install and use YH on both server, Raspberry Pi and laptop with a desktop then?
  • And is it possible to keep these three installations as equal, connected and in ‘sync’ as possible?
  • And, for example, if the Raspberry Pi and/or laptop are on standby, can I still reach them via my smartphone as a server?
  • A mix of Yunohost and PureOS Librem (Mini PC, laptop and phone) should be amazing and maybe possible?

I’ve searched and asked around for Yunohost servers but haven’t found any except the ones on your website.
Are there any good Yunohost servers that you can recommend?

Something else, do you run like a modern Wiki nice looking website on Github?
If so, is your website ‘template’ open source?

I know it are a lot of questions, thanks to help me out.

Kind regards
Bart

I have read many people on the forums have problems when they install the graphical interface for Yunohost. I don’t think it’s designed to run as a laptop. Of course it may be possible. I’m interested to see what others think.

I use my Yunohost as the base of my systems. All my data is on Yunohost. I access it through Nextcloud from phone and laptop. I use XMPP to communicate with my family. If my phone and laptop change, or blow up…I don’t care. Yunohost is where my life is stored.

For years, my YunoHost server was also a media player, with a graphical interface.
As YunoHost uses Debian as the operating system, it is totally possible to install a graphical interface and also use it as a normal computer.
There is only one problem : take care when you add a new software repo to avoid any incompatibilities (I only used standard software, but it can happen).

Would it be possible, with some modifications, to install and use YH on both server, Raspberry Pi and laptop with a desktop then?

Yes, totally, but as YunoHost is mostly made to run as a server, I am not sure why to use it on a laptop, maybe just use Debian ?

And is it possible to keep these three installations as equal, connected and in ‘sync’ as possible?

This is a tricky question.
There is a backup/restore function in YunoHost, I am not sure at all if you can have 2 “same” instances running at the same time (mostly due to the DNS things).
Theoretically it is possible to do a backup on one machine and restore it on another.

And, for example, if the Raspberry Pi and/or laptop are on standby, can I still reach them via my smartphone as a server?

I do not know what does “stanby” means.
If they are “on”, you will be able to access them thru a web interface (available on mobile too).

A mix of Yunohost and PureOS Librem (Mini PC, laptop and phone) should be amazing and maybe possible?

PureOS is also based on debian, so MAYBE it can be possible.
You can try, using this documentation : Install YunoHost | Yunohost Documentation
(this is the installation process when Debian is already installed, to “install” YunoHost, but as YunoHost take control of the system and I do not have any idea of what PureOS do, I have no idea if it will work and stay stable)

Just to be sure to be clear : YunoHost is made to make server administration easy by proposing an automatic configuration and installation/upgrade of many apps.
Use it to do something else is possible, but take care not to touch anything needed to YunoHost or you may break things.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks for such fast answers from you two!
I know YH is for servers but because that it is Debian i hope to use it also on my laptop.

And because it’s Debian i refer to PureOS that’s also Debian based.
I could try on the laptop to set all specific server settings and functions ‘off’ but keep them in place.

To start/test i will install YH on a Raspberry Pi as full working server and then install a desktop and other packages to make it more desktop friendly and see what’s happening at the server side.

Why i come up with PureOS; it’s Debian based and runs now on Laptop, Mini PC and Phone, and i like that unified way! Digital life becomes then more simple, so more time for other things. :wink:

Maybe i install after the Raspberry Pi test YH on my laptop as a pure server install and connect and use it with a browser as desktop. :wink: More resource ‘heavy’ software i will use then only on my older desktop computer.

When somebody knows tips and tricks for all of this, thanks to let me know.

@Mamie: That backup/restore function is already a nice one!