Tld is repeated in DNS records

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old laptop (AMD E-450)
YunoHost version: YunoHost 11.0.9.12 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen | …
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no, i dont think so

Description of my issue

Howdy partners,
I know my isp blocks port 80 but 443 is open.
I ran shields up at gibson research and 443 is open.
The yunohost ip is in my routers DMZ.
I have been using freedombox but want to try yunohost.

Running diagnosis I have some issues in the DNS records area. I’m guessing letsencrypt wont work till this is fixed.

(snip of diagnosis from DNS records follows…)

Type: CNAME
Name: muc
Current value: xxxxx.nohost.me.nohost.me.
Expected value: xxxxx.nohost.me.
The following DNS record does not seem to follow the recommended configuration:
Type: CNAME
Name: pubsub
Current value: xxxxx.nohost.me.nohost.me.
Expected value: xxxxx.nohost.me.
The following DNS record does not seem to follow the recommended configuration:

So, I guess an autoconfiguration put the tld in twice.???

I tried to include a full YunoPaste but got complant from forum about new users are allowed 5 links.

Yep, im new.
Thanks!!!

1 Like

You can change the domains that are considered as links, so you might be ablo to post a “real” link.

For Let’s encrypt, I’m really not sure but I think that it will need port 80 for the verification before generating the certificate, there might be a way to run around this, but it is somewhere hidden in the forum :sweat:

I can confirm that port 80 will be needed by Lets Encrypt, there’s no easy way around this without having to tweak stuff a lot

The issue with XMPP CNAMEs records is not related, this is a small bug in Yunohost that we need to dig in at some point, but will only prevent XMPP from working properly, not other part of the system

1 Like

J’ai la même erreur de Tld qui se répète dans l’enregistrement DNS et cela a pour moi 3 effets trés génants:

1. SNAPPY Mail ne me permet pas d’envoyer un mail alors qu’il n’y a aucun problème dans le système mail

2. Let’s encrypt ne marche pas systématiquement

3. Sur la commande sudo yunohost dyndns update --force après reboot du système, la réponse a été:
    Info: Updated needed, going on…
    Error: The peer didn’t know the key we used
    Info: The operation ‘Update the IP associated with your YunoHost subdomain ‘fppa64.ynh.fr’’ could not be completed. Please share the full log of this operation using the command ‘yunohost log share 20220830-170319-dyndns_update-fppa64.ynh.fr’ to get help
    Le fichier log est: https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/ajomogadaj dont la dernière ligne est:
    ;ADDITIONAL
    2022-08-30 19:03:21,842: ERROR - The peer didn’t know the key we used

Le log du diagnostic est à: https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/ihomovohit

Comme expliqué je doute fortement que le soucis sur les enregistrements CNAME XMPP aient un quelconque impact sur le mail et sur Lets Encrypt …

1 Like

Hi, welcome to the forums!

That is quite annoying. Reading you have used Freedombox before, I guess you already tried: did you ask your ISP whether they can make case-by-case exceptions to their blocking of port 80?

I think the easiest workaround to get Letsencrypt working is to have a VPN (with public IP and non-blocked ports) pointing to your server. The cheapest way to run that might be a light weight VPS, which in some respects defeats the purpose of running a homeserver :-/

As long as you are the only user of the services on your Yunohost, you could import the self signed certificate to receive fewer SSL/TLS-warnings.

Thanks for the replies !

I’m trying to use one of my noip dyndns domains…just testing for now.

Isp forbids running any servers. I think port 80 could open if you get a business account. Im trying to have a server for only the cost of electricity.

I dont understand why, but i can get freedombox to work with letsencrypt. Or I tricked my self into thinking it worked.

I love tinkering in my home network.

1 Like

Maybe they’re using the DNS challenge of Lets Encrypt (which we do not suppport) or I think they have a thing with onion domains (though you probably werent using those ?)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.