Timezone issue? (wrong server time)

My YunoHost server

Hardware: x64 Intel computer
YunoHost version: 4.2.5.2
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

Hello, although I selected the right timezone (Brussels, therefore CEST) the server time is incorrect. It is about 57 minutes in advance.

I changed it to Paris then back to Brussels (via sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata) but it is still incorrect.
My server is connected to the Internet (I pinged google.com from the ssh admin console). I also restarted the server.

For example it is currently 20:50 but my server is at 21:47.

Is there somewhere a setting to select a time server?

I don’t remember since when it is like that, I am just certain it was correct at some point.

Thanks

Hello Alami,

You should check the time in the BIOS of your computer. If it is an old computer, the battery may be good to replace.

You can also check if an ntp client is installed and working well
https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=Debian_9&p=ntp&f=3

– Cyril

If you have a firewall in “paranoid mode” in front of your server (in more of the yunohost integrated firewall) you should check you allow outgoing ntp request…

How do you check the server time ? What’s the result of the date command ?
How did you installed your server (which method) ?

Thanks for putting me on the right track.
I was not physically close to the server until sunday. The pc boots too fast to enter bios with a wireless keyboard… I don’t have a wired one at hand for the moment. As to the battery, my pc is a very compact fanless nuc type, and I didn’t see a battery on the accessible side, it must be on the other one, but I don’t want to separate the pcu from the heatsink.

So… I installed ntpd but it never worked, although I opened the right port on the firewall and made the most basic conf file with the closest pool.ntp.org servers. Ntpq -p never returned any meaningful data.

Shutting down ntpd, I was able to set the time right with ntpdate pointing to a time server. I’ll check if the time drifts overtime.

PS I checked the time with commands date or uptime

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.