• version: 11.0.10
  • moulinette:
    • repo: stable
    • version: 11.0.9
  • ssowat:
    • repo: stable
    • version: 11.0.9

I have access to my server : Through SSH, through the webadmin & Webconsole
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue :

Systemd service for user 1007 (admin) fails following migration to buster.

admin@lovelace:[~]: sudo systemctl list-units --failed
  UNIT              LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
â—Ź user@1007.service loaded failed failed User Manager for UID 1007

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.
1 loaded units listed.

admin@lovelace:[~]: sudo systemctl status user@1007.service
â—Ź user@1007.service - User Manager for UID 1007
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/user@.service; static)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2022-09-08 12:16:32 UTC; 15min ago
       Docs: man:user@.service(5)
    Process: 4627 ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd --user (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 4627 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 8ms

Sep 08 12:16:32 lovelace systemd[1]: Starting User Manager for UID 1007...
Sep 08 12:16:32 lovelace systemd[4627]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user admin(uid=1007) by (uid=0)
Sep 08 12:16:32 lovelace systemd[4627]: Failed to determine supported controllers: No such process
Sep 08 12:16:32 lovelace systemd[4627]: Failed to allocate manager object: No such process
Sep 08 12:16:32 lovelace systemd[1]: user@1007.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Sep 08 12:16:32 lovelace systemd[1]: user@1007.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Sep 08 12:16:32 lovelace systemd[1]: Failed to start User Manager for UID 1007.

admin@lovelace:[~]: getent passwd 1007
admin:*:1007:1007:admin:/home/admin:/bin/bash

I guess you mean bullseye (yeah Debian’s name choice wasnt super great, two versions starting with Bu…)

I have no idea what this service is supposed to be

Admin is not supposed a UNIX user … It’s supposed to be a LDAP user … On a sane Yunohost system, neither getent passwd 1007 nor getend passwd admin returns anything, so my first thought is that maybe you or something else messed with the admin user …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

It’s strange because I’ve installed (using curl https://install.yunohost.org | bash on a Debian 11) and there is an admin:*:1007:1007:admin:/home/admin:/bin/bash.

I also have admin on /etc/passwd on different Internet Cubes installed as Ynh 4.x and some where migrated to 11.x.

What do you use to install a sane Yunohost system ?

Hmmm well, I double checked and turns out that indeed, getent passwd 1007 and getent passwd admin does return admin:*:1007:1007:Admin:/home/admin:/bin/bash … sorry about that

admin is not supposed to exist in /etc/passwd though. I don’t know what may have happened on old internet cubes, but on a recent install on a VPS with curl|bash, there’s no admin entry in /etc/passwd

(And I also got triggered by this pretty quickly because I’ve seen too many people in the past concluding that this was a bug and ended up manually creating the admin user with adduser and in turn worsening whatever situation they were in)

1 Like