Syncthing permission settings on folder to backup

Dear Friends,

My YunoHost server libera

Hardware: hosted VPS
YunoHost version: 4.2.8.3 (stable
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no
If yes, please explain:

Folder permissions for syncthing in Nextcloud

I am using syncthing for many matters and want to use it to pull a synced copy of the nextcloud data of my yunohost. the setup is a success between yunohost and my offsite NAS. However there is a no access permission error. I used folders /home/yunohost.app/nextcloud/data/

Q: how to give syncthing read permission?

I think it may be unsafe, but this is what I do for another app to have access to nextcloud data : add the user (not the YunoHost user, the Linux user) in the group nextcloud.

2 Likes

Nextcloud does not play nice if you add files directly to the data folder. It messes up the database. After making changes like that you need to run:

sudo -u www-data php occ files:scan --all

Also, all files in the data folder at owned by nextcloud:nextcloud. You need add the syncthing user to nextcloud group as suggested. But I wouldn’t recommend you do something like this.

1 Like

thanks, you both are right indeed. In my case, I only want to pull data from Nextcloud and keep offsite for easy temporarily access during a baremetal restore or the likes. Hence, I refrain from adding any data.

I gave the read permissions as suggested above and for now syncthing is working. Will report back once done if it worked as planned.

1 Like

I can confirm that all works as planned.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.