Synapse – Server Errors by federation

and

sudo -u postgres /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main -c config_file=/etc/postgresql/9.6/main/p

root@my:~# sudo -u postgres /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main -c config_
file=/etc/postgresql/9.6/main/p                                                                            
LOG:  00000: could not change directory to "/root": Permission denied                                      
LOCATION:  resolve_symlinks, exec.c:293                                                                    
postgres: could not access the server configuration file "/etc/postgresql/9.6/main/p": No such file or dire
ctory                                                                                                      
root@my:~#

admin@my:~$ sudo -u postgres /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main -c config
_file=/etc/postgresql/9.6/main/p                                                                           

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System                                         
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:                                                

#1) Respect the privacy of others.                                                                     
    #2) Think before you type.                                                                             
    #3) With great power comes great responsibility.                                                       

[sudo] password for admin:                                                                                 
Sorry, user admin is not allowed to execute '/usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.
6/main -c config_file=/etc/postgresql/9.6/main/p' as postgres on my.domain.tdl                            
admin@my:~$

Meh

Can you do

su postgres

Then you should have a command prompt looking like postgres@tonserveur

Then inside, do

cd

then

/usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main -c config_file=/etc/postgresql/9.6/main/postgresql.conf

root@my:~# su postgres                                                                                          
postgres@my:/root$ cd                                                                                           
postgres@my:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main -c config_file=/etc/postgres
ql/9.6/main/postgresql.conf                                                                                     
2019-03-08 19:30:38.204 UTC [7014] LOG:  database system was interrupted; last known up at 2019-03-01 03:20:46 U
TC                                                                                                              
2019-03-08 19:30:38.484 UTC [7014] LOG:  database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progr
ess                                                                                                             
2019-03-08 19:30:38.503 UTC [7014] LOG:  redo starts at 0/14E4FBC8                                              
2019-03-08 19:30:38.514 UTC [7014] LOG:  invalid record length at 0/14E55EA8: wanted 24, got 0                  
2019-03-08 19:30:38.514 UTC [7014] LOG:  redo done at 0/14E55E80                                                
2019-03-08 19:30:38.515 UTC [7014] LOG:  last completed transaction was at log time 2019-03-01 03:21:46.378258+0
0                                                                                                               
2019-03-08 19:30:38.573 UTC [7014] LOG:  MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled                
2019-03-08 19:30:38.598 UTC [7013] LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections                         
2019-03-08 19:30:38.601 UTC [7018] LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

Hmmmokay, that oes bring some info about what happened … Though I still don’t understand why the service would not start … If you command is still running, you may stop it with Ctrl + C

Now it you exit and go back to a regular root or admin shell and run sudo systemctl restart postgresql@9.6-main.service, does it still fails ?

And if it still fails, what if you redo this thing with su postgresql, then cd, then the big command … does it still shows the same thing ?

root@my:~# sudo systemctl restart postgresql@9.6-main.service                                                   
Job for postgresql@9.6-main.service failed because the control process exited with error code.                  
See "systemctl status postgresql@9.6-main.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.                            
root@my:~# su postgres                                                                                          
postgres@my:/root$ cd                                                                                           
postgres@my:~$ /usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main -c config_file=/etc/postgres
ql/9.6/main/postgresql.conf                                                                                     
2019-03-08 20:11:58.802 UTC [7621] LOG:  database system was shut down at 2019-03-08 20:07:39 UTC               
2019-03-08 20:11:58.816 UTC [7621] LOG:  MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled                
2019-03-08 20:11:58.844 UTC [7620] LOG:  database system is ready to accept connections                         
2019-03-08 20:11:58.849 UTC [7625] LOG:  autovacuum launcher started

Any more ideas?
Thanks

Thanks for all the help so fare…

after all i did a reinstall of synapse – this worked very well so fare.
RIOT was working

After that I tried as well the new test version

yunohost app upgrade synapse -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/synapse_ynh/tree/testing

this Installation did not work – please have a look

root@my:~# yunohost app upgrade synapse -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/synapse_ynh/tree/testing
Info: Upgrading apps synapse
Info: Upgrading app synapse…
Warning: 8817 /var/lib/matrix-synapse will not be saved, because backup_core_only is set.
Warning: 9419 could not change directory to “/home/yunohost.backup/tmp/synapse-pre-upgrade2/apps/synapse/backup”: Permission denied

What does this mean?

this broke my installation so I had to do a new reinstall

this gave me “the operation ‘Install ‘synapse’ application’ has failed! „

here is the log:
https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/eqoxacider

What Can I do now? – please I need help - Thanks

the Folder /home/yunohost.backup/tmp is no owned by root - is this right?

back-up

I reinstalled postgresql

apt-get --purge remove postgresql\*

and

sudo apt install postgresql

reinstalled synapse and even the testing version
yunohost app upgrade synapse -u https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/synapse_ynh/tree/testing

successfully – now i will test of federation will work

Josue
Now I run the new testing version of sysapse and it seams I have the same problems with federation as before.

Internal server error

I checked also this site :

https://www.arewereadyyet.com/

which gives me no result at all for my server
What does tht mean?

Probably that your server are not accessible.

Did you check that your server is accessible from internet on the port (generally by default) 8448 ?

Hi Josue
Port 8448 is open in the Router and the Yunohost Firewall

federation with the server http://matrix.org is working – so my server is accessible

but federation with other servers does not work well

Now i checked the sub.domain on my server where i installed the webclient with the test on https://www.arewereadyyet.com/

have a look:

Got 1 connection report

WARN: Self-signed cert found for 93.131.xxx.xxx:8448:, this will need to be replaced in the future [MSC1711](https://github.com/matrix-org/matrix-doc/pull/1711)

INFO: No WellKnownInUse for 93.131.xxx.xxx:8448:

ERROR: on 93.131.xxx.xxx:8448: Checks.AllChecksOK failed

ERROR: on 93.131.xxx.xxx:8448: Checks.MatchingServerName failed

Did you really install the last version from testing ?

Yes I didi it yesterday by

Ok,

Did you setup a valid certificat for your server as explained here ? In other words do you use a self-signed certificate ? If yes you need to setup a valid certificate by example with let’s encrypt.

I installed a month ago a certificat with “Let’s Encrypt”
it sayes that it is still valid