Switching from a VPS to a Raspberry Pi - will I lose my data?

Hey guys, I hope you’re well and you’re having a great day! It’d be greatly appreciated if you could take a minute or two out of your time to help me with the following:

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online, Linode
YunoHost version: 4.3.6.3
I have access to my server : Through SSH and through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no / yes
If yes, please explain:

Description of my issue

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 B and I was looking to transfer my Yunohost server and all of its contents, currently hosted on Linode, onto the Raspberry Pi. My question is:

A) Is this possible? If so, how? (tutorials, guides etc)

B) Will I suffer any data loss or major downtime? If so, is there any way to circumnavigate any of this?

Thanks for your help!

A) my thought is that you can totally do it and you won’t loose anything.

• make a fullbackup
  • download it locally (on you desktop or laptop at home)
  • install you rapsberry pi with standard yunohost install
  • update your raspberry pi yunohost if needed
  • upload your full backup and restore it

you will need to adapt your DNS setup, your home router configuration of ports and static ip

B) you shall ideally prepare everything regarding the raspberry pi with an alternative domain independent from your actual one
so you can minimize downtime by having all setups ready and just switch the DNS configuration to make the new server effective
you will be also free to fully test your new install with that other domain without impacting your “prod”

you can keep your VPS on as long as you like if the DNS doesnt point to it so you wont loose any data since you can always rollback to it eventually.

Hi Guwon, thank you so much for your very detailed and helpful answer! I’m not very experience with Pi’s yet, so I have a few questions:

1. Would i not be able to use my old domain if I were to transfer?
  2. Would the data in my Matrix messenger setup be lost? i.e. messages?
  1. yes you will
  2. it shall be but I have no experience with this app in particular. yet backup and restore are normally tested functions of an app…maybe digging in the docs and forum might be helpful to find previous similar experiences to learn from…

I forgot to mention a very important point to start with.
From VPS to RPI4B you gonna change processor architecture from x86 to ARM64

So you need to see if all of your actual yunohost app are compatible with ARM64 processors. not all are !!

Hi, thanks for your reply! How would I check the processor architecture of my Yunohisg apps?

Go on each github page of the app and look for a mention of ARM in term of compatibility or un-compatibility.

you could also checks issues with term “ARM” in both closed or open to see if the questions was already raised.

in case there is a mention of different flavors of ARM your RPI4B is an ARM64

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.