[Suggestion] Lemmy: Une alternative fédérée à Reddit

Si des gens sont intéressés par packager Lemmy , il s’agit d’une sorte de Reddit mais fédéré et très léger. Les développeurs ont l’air assez actifs, c’est un projet très intéressant je trouve. Je l’ai déja ajouté à la Whislist.

Tout l’intêret des projets fédérées est justement d’avoir un maximun d’instances, je me suis dit que ca pouvait être une bonne chose de porter l’application sur Yunohost.

Je crois que la fédération n’est pas encore disponible mais ca devrait arriver sous peu.

Voici leur Github, si vous voulez jetter un oeil.
https://github.com/dessalines/lemmy

[English]
If people are interested in creating a package for Lemmy, it’s a kind of Reddit but federated and very light. The developers seem quite active, it’s a very interesting project I think. I’ve already added it to the Whislist.

All the interest of federated projects is to have a maximum of instances, I thought it could be a good thing to port the application to Yunohost.

I believe that the federation is not yet available but it should happen soon.

Here’s their Github, if you want to take a look.
https://github.com/dessalines/lemmy

2 Likes

First they would have a proper way to install it manually, YunoHost does not support Docker, Ansible or Kubernetes.

Nasty habit and fashion to only provide black boxes to install an open source app…

1 Like

Hi @Maniack_Crudelis ,
I don’t understand all these technical aspects but I’ll try to talk about it with the developers, thank you very much for your comment anyway.

Well, it was a little bit harsh…
Let me explain.

Docker and Kubernetes are both, to make it simple, a kind of virtual machine. By using it, you install a complete environment (again, to make it simple. It’s actually not a “complete” one) with the app inside it. That would be like installing Debian with the app into Debian itself. That’s a big shortcut, but that’s just to give the idea.

Ansible is different because that’s more like a bash script that would make all the commands to install the app for you. Like we do for our app packages.
Except that here, ansible install docker so finally that’s the same…

The first problem with docker (or kubernetes) that’s after the installation, it’s kind of a black box for normal people. You can’t easily see what’s inside the box, nor that you can easily modify anything.

As an open source app, users would rather prefer to be able to see whats’ really installed and be free to modify whatever they want.

For those previous reasons (and because I’m stubborn) we do not support docker apps. Or any app into containers.
To make a package for an app, we prefer a manual installation with everything installed directly into the server. That’s better for us, because it’s easy to adapt to YunoHost when needed, and that’s better for the users, because they can read the code of the install script and know what’s going to be actually installed on their server.

2 Likes

hi,
thank you so much for taking the time to explain to me, you’ve been very clear. I understand better now.

I hope that there will be another way to install it in the future without having to depend on containers in this case.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.