[SOLVED] How do I configure a different mail server (e.g. GMail)

Hello.

Before asking for help, I’d like to say: I’m pretty happy with Yunohost. It’s never been so easy to configure my own server.

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Home laptop
YunoHost version: 4.0.3
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : yes
If yes, please explain: I’m in Brazil, so there’s little chance I’m able to get port 25 unblocked

Description of my issue

I managed to get Yunohost running yesterday and installed Mastodon and WriteFreely. However, since I’m in Brazil and port 25 has been closed for home networks since the late 2000s, I will not be able to host the mail server.

Is it possible for me to setup a different mail server as my yunohost email? I wouldn’t need the email server except that mastodon requires an imap server in order to send users mail and I also need to receive mail if I want to receive sign-up requests from new users, for instance.

I’ve read a bunch of other threads1, but I must confess I’m a bit lost and I don’t know if that’s exactly what I want.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I’m using my own domain, not a yuno domain.

For one of my domain, I wanted to keep my mails out of my yunohost server. (Because it’s one of my principal mail, I need it and I need people receive my mails from it…)

When I installed the yunohost server with this domain, I didn’t change the DNS for the mail. So nothing change, OVH is still handling my mails.

But Yunohost mails are sended (but they’ll finish in spam almost everywhere).

I don’t know if this answer to your question…

Maybe this is what I want. Can you give more details on your configurations?

Thanks in advance.

I keep original DNS records concerning mailing.

These :

IN NS     ns106.ovh.net.
                         IN NS     dns106.ovh.net.
                         IN MX     100 mxb.ovh.net.
                         IN MX     1 mx1.ovh.net.
                         IN MX     5 mx2.ovh.net.
                     600 IN TXT    "v=spf1 include:mx.ovh.com ~all"
mail                     IN CNAME  ns0.ovh.net.
ox                       IN CNAME  ox.ovh.net.
pop3                     IN CNAME  ns0.ovh.net.
smtp                     IN CNAME  ns0.ovh.net.

I change the others.

Are you self-hosting or paying for a hosting service?

My mails are hosted by OVH. I did self-hosting for mails but my mails finished in spam too often… (Not self-hosting fault but Gmail and microsoft fault!)

Do you remember how you configured GMail as you smtp server? I don’t mind too much about my mails ending up in the spam folder, I just need a working smtp.

So, I just followed the tutorial I have linked with the extra step of allowing unsafe applications in Google and it worked! I can even receive mail!

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.