SOGo Exchange ActiveSync support (or alternatives?)

Hey fellow Yunohost users,

I have a question regarding SOGo and Exchange ActiveSync support. At the weekend I upgraded my Yunohost from 2.7 to 3.3. It was a mess. After some fixes I have a working system again but Z-Push can’t be installed because of the php5-fpm dependency.

Sooo I am thinking about SOGo (which was not available two years ago). Does the Yunohost instance of SOGo support ActiveSync? If so what steps do we need to get it enabled? Do I have to remove Baikal from the server? If both of those questions are “yes”: is there an easy way to migrate Baikal contacts and calender to SOGo?

In general: what do you people use to synchronise your calender and contacts? Maybe I should not be focused on ActiveSync.

Regards,

Andy

Hello,

Sooo I am thinking about SOGo (which was not available two years ago). Does the Yunohost instance of SOGo support ActiveSync? If so what steps do we need to get it enabled?

SOGo support Activesync. You have more documentation here : Installation and Configuration Guide

Actually it’s not implemented in the app, but I could do it. I would be also happy to have some feedback if I implement this feature.

Do I have to remove Baikal from the server?

Yes and no. It should work if baikal is also installed. But you might have some conflict about specific URL for autoconfiguration.

Is there an easy way to migrate Baikal contacts and calender to SOGo?

The easiest way is to export your baikal data as iCalendar file and and VCF. And after import in SOGo.

In general: what do you people use to synchronise your calender and contacts? Maybe I should not be focused on ActiveSync.

I think caldav and cardav is better to synchronise your data. I use it everyday (with SOGo) and I’m really happy of that.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I know that SOGo CAN support ActiveSync but I didn’t see anything in the installation script so I was wondering.

Actually everytime I am confronted with the general synchronisation issue I get a little sad. ActiveSync is not really “good” (complex, closed, …) but there is no alternative “all in one” solution that I am aware of. Android is supporting ActiveSync natively which is very convenient and reliable. CalDAV and CardDAV however are not supported.

I am currently using an app for Android DAVdroid which I bought this week. It seems fine. How do you do it? Do you have a Windows client you are using calender and contact synchronisation with? If so: which and how? I am asking because a few of my users are using Outlook and they are happy with it (because it looks and works nicely).
What makes you say CalDAV and CardDAV is the better solution?

Regarding Baikal migration: I was dreading your reply. In reality I was not expecting anything other than “you have to copy it manually” but one can dream you know.

It is nice of you to offer to support ActiveSync but the question is: does it make sense? I am a software engineer myself and I know that not all customer requests are actually sensible. Do others “ever” request that kind of feature? If not maybe I am a dinosaur who lives in the “good old ActiveSync”-past.

I’m using DAVdroid and it work well since some years. I don’t use windows and Outlook so I don’t know what is the integration of Caldav and Cardav.

Yes, I know that I might be complicated. But implementing a function might be a lot of work.

About ActiveSync, as I said, I could Implement it because it look like not a lot of work and I could be a good improvement for this app.

1 Like

Sounds great. It would be appreciated if you integrate ActiveSync into SOGo especially because it seems to be an easy task. Of course I can provide the requested feedback.

Hello,

Normally it should be ok with the last testing version here : https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/sogo_ynh/tree/testing

Hey @Josue Should this be working out of the box by now? Or can you tell me how to activate it? because witthout any configuration it’s not working yet for me.

edit:
I set the autodiscover-DNS-Entry and now as soon as I try to login using activesync
it redirects me -> https://autodiscover.mydomain.tld/yunohost/admin/

I can’t help you with anything in this thread ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) , but the last symptom (redirect to admin) is that of visiting an domain not recognized by Yunohost.

Not knowing the rest of your setup, this is what I would try:

• add autodiscover.mydomain.tld as a domain
  • add the redirect-app as default app to the autodiscover location

Another way is to have a look at the nginX-configuration files, and add/change the URL-rewrites so that visiting the autodiscover location works.

Not the most helpful, I hope it helps you in the right direction!