Soft lockup BUG warning from syslog

Hi all

I’m trying to resolve a warning message about a bug that appears via SSH and terminal window on the server. My Yunohost server is slow, but most things are working. See below for more.

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old Mac Mini
YunoHost version: 11.1.19
I have access to my server : SSH, webadmin, server terminal window
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

What I am trying to achieve
I would like to find and fix the source of the error messages.

The context
These messages have been consistently arriving since late May. Sometimes there are 10 of them in a row, sometimes three in a row.
If I ctrl+c I can get a command prompt and do whatever I need to, so I have been (naughtily) ignoring them until now.

what I tried

• Look on the forum for similar issues - none found
  • Look in webadmin tools/logs for clues - none found
  • Look in webadmin services for a related service to grab logs of - none found

error messages
Each message has the same syntax:

kernel:[ <number1>.<number2>] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s!

The full error log recently is this:

kernel:[ 3593.858525] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 22s! [swapper/0:0]

Message from syslogd@yunohost at Aug  9 19:53:41 ...
 kernel:[ 3886.114111] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 21s! [swapper/0:0]

Message from syslogd@yunohost at Aug  9 19:53:41 ...
 kernel:[ 3886.114118] watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 21s! [swapper/1:0]

theory
I’m wondering if I can ‘kill -9’ something, as @Aleks instructed, to remove these soft lockup warnings (and the thing that is making them).

questions

• how can I find the cause of these warnings?
  • how can I find more information about the numbers in the error messages?

Thank you for reading, and please share ideas if you have some about what might be a cause of the warnings. Thanks! :grin::hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

This is most likely hardware-related, and in your case VM-related, but let’s try to help you anyways.
May you share your Diagnosis report? Specifically I want to know about your memory and swap(s).

(I’m loosely following what I found online with these keywords, namely kernel - watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#6 stuck for 23s - Ask Ubuntu and linux - Ubuntu VM hangs in VirtualBox under Window 10: "watchdog BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s" - Super User )

2 Likes

Hi @tituspijean

Thank you for your patience with me! :green_heart:

I understand now, from the link you shared, how it’s my VM settings.

Something else to learn about and look into.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.