Simplex upgrade seems to have wiped some server data

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS AMD64
YunoHost version: 11.2.12

Description of my issue

@ericg
After I recently upgraded the Simplex server from 5.71 to 5.75, I stopped receiving any messages from my contacts. When I look at the contacts’ statuses, they all show network error: contact deleted. I could seemingly send them messages, but they would not receive. Luckily I don’t have many contacts and can get them to delete me and re-add with new invites. I tested deleting the contact from a spare device and re-added without any problem. I don’t know who else is connected to my server.

I spoke with Simplex support and showed him the behavior. He had not seen anything like this and believed that data on the server was wiped out which caused all my contacts to be in this state. Perhaps something was wrong in the script?

Edit: I got message back from Simplex team that we need to set /etc/opt/simplex/smp-server.ini values as below. They were set as off initially.
[STORE_LOG]
enable: on
restore_messages: on

I set mine this way and hope it fixes the problem. Now that server 5.8 is released, perhaps this can be included.

Thank you for maintaining this package.

FYI we need a tag for Simplex.

Hello,

I don’t know how to do that but with this new stable release i’ve push a PR :

ppr

1 Like

I upgraded the server and my changes to the ini file are either preserved or set correctly. You might check what values are set in a new install. Getting our contacts to adopt Simplex is hard enough and some perceive snafus like this to be a bigger problem than it is. So far everything is running beautifully and I thank you for maintaining it.

Hello,

I’ve add the line restore_messages: on in the config file and push a PR :

Hope it could do the trick.

ppr

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.