Setting Up SMTP Relay For Noho.st Domain

My YunoHost server

Hardware: DigitalOcean Droplet Using Debian 11
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : No

Description of my issue

Hello! I’m new to self-hosting, and I’m having a problem setting up the SMTP relay.
I want to be able to use an SMTP relay server on my whole YunoHost server, but I use a noho.st domain instead of a custom domain (discorevenge.noho.st), meaning that I cannot change the DNS records since it uses DynDNS unless I add custom records to it (I looked in the forum here and they looked pretty complicated…)
The tutorial on the YunoHost documentation is pretty vague:

YunoHost has a built-in SMTP relay configuration, available from version 4.1. That configuration is not yet available from the admin web interface, though. You will have to use the command line interface.

What does that mean in particular? Is it the “sudo yunohost settings set email.smtp.smtp_relay_enabled -v yes” command near the bottom of the page?

I followed Mailgun’s tutorial on how to add DNS records to a DigitalOcean droplet. All of the DNS records are on the Domain page of my droplet. However, when using the command “dig -t DKIM discorevenge.noho.st”, I get “v=spf1 a mx -all” instead of Mailgun’s recommended TXT record “v=spf1 include:mailgun.org ~all”. I also tried this with CNAME and MX but there were no Mailgun records to be found as well.

Would I have to wait a bit more for those DNS changes to go into effect?

This is all so complicated to do and I would really appreciate someone to help me out on all of this… Everything is too vague so it’s difficult for me to understand what I’m supposed to do.
Thank you.

Addendum: So, I tried following the same tutorial using a test subdomain on Google Domains and it works! So either I need to internally change the DNS records for the Noho.st domain, or I would have to use a custom domain for the entire YunoHost Server.

Well actually since then, it’s now available in the webadmin in Tools > YunoHost settings > … something like “Email” I guess

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.