Setting up a public XMPP server with Prosody?

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old laptop at home i5 16gb ram 1tb
YunoHost version: 11.0.9.13
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen |
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I thinking of setting a public XMPP as an alternative to Discord for my podcasts. I’m not expecting it (XMPP) to get big. Do I want to do this using Prosody? I’m asking cause I have it installed and it seems that only those with accounts to my Yunohost can get in. Is there a way to enable account creation on Prosody in the configuration somewhere? And will it then be public so that anyone can create an account?

Registration

To allow clients to create themselves accounts on your server (also known as “in-band” registration) you will need mod_register loaded. This usually means adding “register” to modules_enabled as described above. The options in this section only apply when mod_register is active.

An alternative way to create user accounts on non-Windows servers is to use prosodyctl.

allow_registration
Whether to allow registration of new accounts via Jabber clients. Default is false.

Additional options are documented on the mod_register page.

https://prosody.im/doc/configure

Did you also consider the metronome server?

1 Like

I thought the metronome server was only for users of my Yunohost instance. I can make that public and not need Prosody?

Those are configuration of prosody, not metronome: Configuring Prosody – Prosody IM

You can try with metronome also editing the config file and setting ‘allow registration = true’ not sure if it works

1 Like

Ok. I’ll continue to try to figure out prosody since Im already into it.

Uh, I think I may have just realized my problem.

Prosody will not replace the XMPP service Metronome integrated in YunoHost, it has been implemented for some specific apps that require Prosody

Seems its only as dependency for something else. Guess I’m going to look into Metronome a bit more, lol.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.