RPi ARM64 Image for YunoHost?

Any chance we can have 64bit images for ARM as an option too? We shouldn’t even have problems running the binaries compiled for archv7 because archv8 supports running those binaries directly.

I am using the official YunoHost image for my Pi4 for example but it is only armv7l

What’s needed is a volunteer that’s okay to spend its free time on this … For now I don’t even know what / who actually ships ARM64 images (from what I understand you mean for RPi, which is a specific board - ARM images are always board specific for reasons)

Like, I don’t even know if the RPi foundation officially publishes arm64 images (at least their build chain we’re based on doesn’t seem to build arm64 images)

1 Like

Hello,

I don’t have a raspberry pi 4 in my possession to test all this, so I can’t say if it works and if everything will work.

In short, maybe you could try to install the latest raspios 64 (at this time) and install YunoHost by the script :

Mind to :

• verify/edit the /etc/apt/sources/lists file to reference buster and avoid switching to Bullseye in a while until the devs have finalized the migration script ;
  • expand the filesystem.

ppr

1 Like

Ahh thanks ppr and Aleks.

I will try from a fresh installation of Raspberry Pi OS. I’ll clone my SD card before so I can just flash that if anything fails (I am already double minded about ruining a perfectly working and stable server just so I can run arm64 binaries aahhhhhh).

I will also document all the steps (if there are any bodges required) and report back over the weekend.

2 Likes

It was very easy, as ppr mentioned:

• Install 64bit image
  • Install YunoHost via cURL
  • Restore Backup made on old installation.

armv7 binaries don’t even need to be recompiled and run directly. I have marked his instructions as the correct solution if anyone else wants to try this.

4 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

ppr

Hello,

I’ve tested the installation on my Raspberry Pi 3 B whitch run the last stable release for testing some stuff … and for the moment it works (since few hours).

First i made a backup (about 350 Mo by yunohost’s backup system with all the stuff selected).

Then I have installed RaspiOS Buster Lite arm64 with Raspberry Pi Imager (Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi) and installed YunoHost but not apply the post-install.

I’ve restored the backup (1 main domain and 2 sub-domains in ynh.fr, 2 users, 4 apps : Dolibarr, Galene, Mumble Server and phpMyAdmin … even the ssh config with an exotic port) … and tada : all went smoothly <3

@Kayou, i’ve not reinstall the CI. MP if you want to discuss about :wink:

Just a :

sudo usermod -G video admin

in order to use RasPi Check (GitHub - eidottermihi/rpicheck: RasPi Check - an Android app for checking your Raspberry Pi status.)

I hope it will work until Bulleyes arrives with YunoHost and the upgrade can be done :smiley:

ppr

Hi all, would you recommend getting Index of /raspios_lite_arm64/images or Daily auto-built images? I have rpi with 8GB of ram so would like to use it all. Is YUNO arch agnostic?

Hello,

The thing to remember is that YunoHost is not yet compatible with Debian Bulleyes.
So I think the best way is to choose an «old» lite image based on Buster because the recent should based on Bulleyes.
After you should check the /etc/apt/sources.list in order to verify if the reference to Buster is explicite and not «old stable» or something like that.

It’s not a 64 bits image but there is this one :
https://yunohost.org/en/install/hardware:rpi2plus

Excuse me for my English.

ppr

Sure thing, I guess I will try Debian for arm64 and see how the script goes. If it fails, I will go with YUNO provided image.

edit: I went with raspios lite and all seems good so far.

I’m also interested in this but I don’t know how to achieve it:

• Debian’s full image is probably more than what I need and I guess it includes a desktop environment and everything.
  • Debian’s Net installer is probably closer to what I need but I don’t know if SSH is activated. I need to look into this.
  • RaspberryPi OS is probably the easiest but what happens to the default Pi user once YunoHost is installed? Is it removed, or does it become a zombie?

What base did YunoHost use until now for its Raspberry images?

We use Raspbian, recently renamed Raspbian OS, and we do some tweaks such as removing the default Pi user, enabling SSH, etc

Note that Raspbian (at least as far as I’m aware of) is armhf, not arm64, despite the fact that recent versions of RPi (since RPi 3 ?) can run 64 bit OSes

Thanks.
There are some 64 bit builds:

1 Like

In ARM devices NEVER forget that some apps are incompatible… like Onlyoffice… It only work in x64, so read before trying to install…

The list of apps incompatible with ARM is very little but is not in the main page…

The best option to use Yunohost in raspberry pi… is raspios lite arm64 + bash install script… but u must to be carefull when having expectations… some apps won’t work by themselves… not 'cos of yunohost, instead 'cos of the software itself.

Other apps… abuse in the use of interpreted languages, (element, matrix), and consume a huge amount of ram. Other are more optimized (like nextcloud) … others are just imposible to install (onlyoffice), so… be open minded… and read the docs… MANY of these cases are in the docs of each app.

1 Like

There’s a really useful guide in one of the other threads where @tituspijean explains how to do an install on on RPi4 with a 64bit image.

I’ve so far found it to be if anything more stable than the 32 bit version but only on YunoHost 4.3.6.2 where there us also a really big speed improvement.

However, whenever I try to update to the Bullseye version, something goes wrong. i’m currently debating with myself whether an immediate upgrade to the Bullseye version is really necessary.

Anyway, I have translated and made step by step with a few alterations the process I mentioned:

1. Install the Raspberry Pi OS Lite image for Buster in 64 bits [https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspios_lite_arm64/images/raspios_lite_arm64-2021-05-28/2021-05-07-raspios-buster-arm64-lite.zip]

2. Configure the pi imager to start SSH upon boot.

3. Log in as a user pi(password: raspberry). This will be deleted later.

4. sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

5. make yourself root: sudo su, use passwd to change the root password

6. nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config, make sure alter the line: #PermitRootLogin no-password New version: PermitRootLogin yes (be sure to remove the #)

7. Perform SSH system restart so it reads your amended file: systemctl restart sshd

8. Open a new terminal by logging in directly as root. If it works, close the first terminal.

9: Delete user pi: userdel -rf pi

10: Sometimes it says pi hasnt been deleted because of a mail box thing. It has been, don’t panic :slight_smile:

10: Follow the installation procedure with: curl https://install.yunohost.org | bash

1. Do Post install. I find the process is smoother with a Yuno domain (dunno why)

Done!

If you want to upgrade further there’s a thread on the Beta. This version is reasonably robust.

PS – Any other distos that would work? I wondered about Diet Pi and Cent since both debian roots?

1 Like

Update, to avoid these annoying steps.
If you use the Raspberry-Pi imager to install a clean Raspberry Pi Lite OS image, you can use the advanced settings menu to setup a default username and password (replacing pi):

Enabling SSH there is also recommended if you do not have a screen and keyboard for your RPi.

2 Likes