Reverse DNS / pointer record for Yunohost with more than 1 domain

Hi all,

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old laptop or computer
YunoHost version:

• Server hardware architecture is lxc amd64
  • Server is running Linux kernel 6.2.16-19-pve
  • Server is running Debian 11.8
  • Server is running YunoHost 11.2.5 (stable)

I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I was not able to find a topic that matched ‘multiple’ reverse DNS. This topic is slightly related to a previous inquiry of mine, Redundant mail server configuration?

My Yunohost at home runs more than one domain. The different domains supply users with their own email domain name.

One domain has a good score, but the other domains miss reverse DNS / pointer records.

Pointer records, as far as I know, only support a single domain name per IP. Is that correct? Or can I ask my ISP to ‘just add a few’ more pointers? I only have one IPv4 address.

How is this usually solved?

I’m pretty sure you can only have one reverse proxy. This is an usual shortcomings of the current status quo regarding IPv4

But it could also be that what mail entities really care about is that the reverse DNS matches the SMTP HELO, not necessarily the destination/sender domain, i’m not sure

1 Like

Hi
I have 4 domains hosted on a VPS and 3 others self-hosted at home
For everyone, just one rDNS is enough to get 10/10 at https://www.mail-tester.com/
Set to the default account, others should inherit it.
Hope this helps you

2 Likes

Thanks for your insights :slight_smile:

Makes sense.

That is what I will do as well then.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.