đź•ą [RetroArch] - Time to play!

This package is still in testing phase, it should not break anything on your server but may not work as expected : If you have any feedback please post it here or on the issue list on the github.

Main limitation is that it’s not possible to write to file from the webplayer, so it’s impossible to save any game progress… Any help to solve this issue is welcome!

And now, enjoy! :video_game:

RetroArch Web Player for YunoHost

Integration level
Install RetroArch with YunoHost

Overview

RetroArch is a frontend for emulators, game engines and media players. It enables you to run classic games on a wide range of computers and consoles through its slick graphical interface. Settings are also unified so configuration is done once and for all.

The RetroArch Web Player is RetroArch compiled through Emscripten.

Shipped version: 1.9.1

Screenshots

Demo

Documentation

YunoHost specific features

Use Shared ROMs library

Although you can upload a ROM at runtime, retroarch may have access to the ROMs you already have on your server:

• Games are located in /opt/yunohost/retroarch/assets/cores. A symbolic link is created to this folder in /home/yunohost.multimedia/share/Games, so that you can place your games from here
  • cores have to be indexed to work : script /opt/yunohost/retroarch/indexer.sh run every 5 minutes to index all games in opt/yunohost/retroarch/assets/cores

Supported architectures

• x86-64b - Build Status
  • ARMv8-A - Build Status

Limitations

• cannot save game, in fact, cannot write at all… so configuration is lost each time you start again
  • no user management
  • some core are listed but not implemented : they do not work, the issue is from the upstream app.

Links

7 Likes

Thanks for this package ! :heart:

It may be write permissions issues. It looks like you chowned everything to root, while I guess the webplayer is run by NGINX, so www-data. :wink:

Well, I did chown everything to root (and I will change it for next version, you’re right www-data make more sense) but the issue is more that everything seems to happen inside a “webbrowser filesystem” (GitHub - jvilk/BrowserFS: BrowserFS is an in-browser filesystem that emulates the Node JS filesystem API and supports storing and retrieving files from various backends.) which, if my understanding is correct, happens only in the browser and does not write on the server disk, or at least retroarch web player does not allow it.
Maybe we can patch the sources, but it seems a little too complicated for me…

1 Like

At least, it seems more or less feasible:

I’ll work on it when I’ll have some spare time!

1 Like