[Resolved] Backup/restore: I Can't login with ssh or direct access

Hello :wave:, I didn’t find my problem on the forum, so I ask it here. I try to learn how to back up and restore a Yunohost instance. But now, I can’t log in on the new instance with ssh or directly to the server-laptop.

What I did:

1. update Yunohost to the latest version
  2. Backup the system + 1 application (for the test).
  3. install Yunohost 11 on the second harddrive
  4. mount the 1st HDD and cp the backup file on the backup folder on the 2nd HDD. (root and password by dedault)
  5. instead of doing the post-install, I’ve restored the backup
  6. the server is working well and the app also (the admin pwd is the same as before). But I can’t log in with ssh with the root user nor with the default password nor with the password from the 1st instance. And I had another user too (I was using it for ssh) who can’t login too… by ssh or direct access. But I have webadmin access.

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Old laptop (Core i7)
YunoHost version: 11.0.9.9
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen all of them
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : I did a backup/restore (same computer, juste on the other hard drive).

When connecting through SSH, you should use the admin user

root can only be used for SSH access from the same local network

I’m on the same local network :-/
And it doesn’t work when I plug a screen and a keyboard and try to login. Does the “restore backup” function, restore the local users and passwords ?

What doesn’t work ?

Did you try to login as admin + your usual admin password ?

Sorry, indeed, with the user “admin” it’s working. Just in the process the fact that both root and “fablab” user disppear was a bit weird. And I had no idea about an admin user before.

Thanks a lot for the follow-up. SysAdmin isn’t easy, but with Yunohost each time I get into it, I think it’s awesome! Thanks for the hard work.

Note that root definitely didnt disappear :wink: But SSH login with root is disabled by default if you’re not on the same network as the server

The fablab user is still probably there, but SSH login is only permitted from users which are explicitly allowed (by default, SSH configurations allow any user to log in, which is … “not great” from a security point of view, because you can easily end up creating a “test” user with a dummy password and not realize that this opens a door to hackers…)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.