• Nextcloud
  • VaultWarden
  • WireGuard
  • SearchXNG
  • XWIKI
  • Pixelfed
  • Friendica
  • possibly later FireFish or Sharkey

Apart from the server resources, how many users (50, 100, 500, …?) can a YunoHost installation handle? Are there any limits in terms of manageability or technology? Can you give me some tips?

Thank you very much
Tinder

With such a massive combinaison of apps, and some (potentially) heavy ones (when scaled), it’s really hard to give you any broadly accurate estimation…
Also this isn’t specific to a Yunohost installation, which will not give you significant performance overhead.

The only thing I could say is that, for a Nextcloud, Matrix server and client, and several fediverse apps, if you exceed of few (simultaneous) users, you will need a quite powerful server.

And if you go up to more than the order of magnitude of tens users, you will probably need to split some parts of these softwares/services between multiples servers, and that’s really far away from Yunohost use case and possibilities (you will need a lot of manual configuration).

1 Like

What YunoHost is not?

Even if YunoHost can handle multiple domains and multiple users, it is not meant to be a mutualized system.

First, the software is too young, not tested at scale and thus probably not optimized well enough for hundreds of users at the same time. With that said, we do not want to lead the software in that direction. Virtualization democratizes, and its usage is recommended since it is a more watertight way to achieve mutualization than a “full-stack” system like YunoHost.

You can host your friends, your family and your company safely and with ease, but you must trust your users, and they must trust you above all. If you want to provide YunoHost services for unknown persons anyway, a full VPS per user will be just fine, and we believe a better way to go.

from What is YunoHost? | Yunohost Documentation

so i’d say YunoHost isn’t the right tool for your needs

2 Likes

Thank you both for your assessment. Yes, I had seen the “What YunoHost is not?” and wanted to make sure that I hadn’t misunderstood something. Ok, then I’ll have to tackle such projects manually.

1 Like

Hi tinder,

adding to Lapineige and OniriCorpe,

There is quite a range from ‘perfectly manageable’ to

:stuck_out_tongue:

Seeing your account is not very new, am I wrong to assume you already use Yunohost for your personal / small scale server? What are your impressions and experiences?

The technology wouldn’t be a limiting factor. Managing 100+ user accounts on the other hand, could make yourself a bottleneck. More so if you manage them manually.

Thinkingin another direction,

Most of these apps are federated (Matrix, Friendica, Pixelfed), stand-alone (Wireguard, SearXNG, Vaultwarden) or easily cross-linked/shared (Nextcloud, XWiki).

If a number of people in your community is interested in taking responsibility for running these for a group of people in your community, it would fit in with the philosophy and give some resilience in case a single server goes down for whatever reason.

3 Likes

Hey wbk,

yes, you’re right, I have my own little YunoHost server running :slight_smile:

My impressions and experiences? The system is pretty stable in my eyes. Every now and then there’s a glitch, but that’s more down to the particular app I’ve installed. It also happened once that a maintainer of a Yunohost APP mixed up the “stabel” branch with the “devel” branch and then nothing worked after the update. This is of course annoying, but I don’t even want to complain about it in the slightest. Everyone does this on a voluntary basis and without pay. I’m very glad that yunohost and your team exists.

Ok, your suggestion is to spread all this over several servers. Hmmm … that sounds exciting. I’ll give that some more thought. Unfortunately, the project can’t be spread over several shoulders at the moment: I’m the only one who knows anything about servers :wink:

Thank you very much for your ideas and suggestions.

1 Like

Hey, did you manage to look into another abstration kinda software stack, like Proxmox for managing multiple LXC containers or using docker compose or even portainer stacks? That might be a bit too much overhead, it would make it easier to have some separation between services and built-in ways to connect them if need be.