Question about possibility to migrate Misskey to Sharkey

My YunoHost server

Hardware: VPS bought online
YunoHost version: 11.2.10 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no
If yes, please explain: N/A
If your request is related to an app, specify its name and version: Misskey 12.119.2~ynh1

Description of my issue

Hi everyone!

As Misskey on YNH is extremely outdated and there are plenty of vulnerabilities discovered, is there any option to easily migrate YNH version of Misskey to YNH version of Sharkey, which was just created?

I am wondering if that is even possible and how to do so?

Thanks in advance!

ping @oufmilo

Hello,

I don’t have a Misskey instance, but I like to stay on top of what happens in regard to Fediverse apps. At this time, it looks like Misskey and forks packages in Yunohost all have issues.

As mentioned, the Misskey package is outdated by 2 years. Calckey is noted as obsolete, replaced by Firefish. But Firefish itself is in crisis, with its lead developer MIA. The two top contributors, who had no control of Firefish’s code base, have made a fork, Catodon.

I didn’t know about Sharkey. I found a very interesting post about its history.

we took a look at the Misskey migrations and noticed they had done a lot of database optimizations since Misskey v12 (what Firefish is based on) which lead to our massive decreases.

They’re talking about their server using 50% less RAM and the database 50% less as well with Sharkey based on recent Misskey code base, compared to Firefish.

Based on this, it seems like Sharkey is a very good bet, in addition to an updated Misskey.

The issue of course is to find a Yunohost package maintainer for any of these two.

For context, Firefish contributor had taken control again of the codebase (and issue tracker and so on), so it seems to be going to be developed again. But yes, it was in a very complicated situation for months and is only in the process of recovery on the development side (the software itself is fine).

One could note that these software are still quite lightweight for small instances (I don’t know for big or medium ones) so it is significant but not that important.

@oufmilo is working on Sharkey but we really need some people to come and help us maintaining those, on the packaging side there are some tricky operations (some upgrades, …) but also some more accessible ones for beginners. In particular testing is very valuable, so people daily-driving those software could provide some very useful feedback and maybe help to resolve some issue after documenting them (which is already 80% of the work) :wink:
Please don’t hesitate to reach us and ask for guidance :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.