Python package: Upgrate/Restore failes on CI

I have no idea what’s wrong here: YunoRunner for CI with my project GitHub - YunoHost-Apps/pyinventory_ynh: YunoHost app package for: https://github.com/jedie/PyInventory

grafik

It’s currently my PR: Update to PyInventory v0.13.0 by jedie · Pull Request #78 · YunoHost-Apps/pyinventory_ynh · GitHub

My first idea to fix this was this change:

grafik

But both variants results in the same error:

This kind of error happens on debian based systems, if python3-venv is not installed.
But python3-venv is in my pkg_dependencies list and will be (re-)installed in restore script.

So that error should not happen, isn’t it?

Any idea?

Hm! It seems that this only failed on @tituspijean CI, but not on the official one, see: YunoRunner for CI

1 Like

Now it’s the same on the official CI, e.g.: YunoRunner for CI

grafik

Any idea?!? Think it’s a problem in CI, isn’t it?

I now created CI: Backup/Restore fails because of missing "python3-venv" package · Issue #1960 · YunoHost/issues · GitHub

Since I have been pinged, I ran some tests. And I can very officially say that I have no idea what’s going on. :confused:

Side note jedie, you are posting your issue all over the place. I completely sympathize, but it’s making it difficult to see the full scope of your investigations. (e.g. you found out that there is no issue on the Bullseye CI).

1 Like

Read that on debian it could be related to locales.
Did you try to add export LC_ALL=C before upgrading your venv ?

No. But why should this been done on a YunoHost package level? This is something that should be setup by YunoHost “core”, isn’t it?

The package works in the past and i never change something around the locales. So i think it’s not the problem.

It seems also that this is flaky. But debug flakyness is hard, because CI server are so slow :frowning: See also my new Thread about this here: YunoHost package maintaining: Continuous integration? Trouble with CI

Yes, sorry about this. That’s the trouble with forum.yunohost.org vs. GitHub. I didn’t quite understand the YunoHost philosophy behind it :wink:

Back to topic: Yes, on Bullseye it works. But it maybe just because of flakiness?!?

as a no coder, i am not on github. for that the forum is need and better understandable for me

To investiguate firstly at a package level before an escalation at a core level. Just an idea to help, your choice to test or not.

Somebody a other idea?!?

locales is not the problem: Test venv upgrade with LC_ALL=C by ewilly · Pull Request #89 · YunoHost-Apps/pyinventory_ynh · GitHub

I had a thought, not tested. Could it be that if fails to upgrade because… there’s nothing to upgrade?

https://docs.python.org/3/library/venv.html

–upgrade Upgrade the environment directory to use this version
of Python, assuming Python has been upgraded in-place.

Can you try making a version of the app that specifically uses e.g. Python 3.6, and try to upgrade it to Python 3.7? (But I would agree that if that’s the case, it is quite a cryptic error message)

Think that’s not the problem. The problem is that python3-venv package is missing…

Interesting, now i have the same error on my test VirtualBox YunoHost: https://paste.yunohost.org/raw/yoqoponafi

EDIT: Think pyinventory-ynh-deps_0.13.0~ynh1_all.deb doesn’t contain python3-venv … How can i generate the same .deb file or get this temporary .deb file?!?

That’s what I don’t understand: if you have listed the dependency in _common.sh and used the ynh_install_app_dependencies, it should be in there.

Maybe a debian package problem? And bullseye fix it?

With Bugfix CI run by jedie · Pull Request #90 · YunoHost-Apps/pyinventory_ynh · GitHub i merge the “setup venv” code and split it up with without-pip and ensurepip, e.g.:

python3 -m venv --without-pip "${final_path}/venv"
ynh_exec_as $app $final_path/venv/bin/python3 -m ensurepip

In the end, it shouldn’t make a difference.
Because of slow CI, i will see the result maybe tomorrow here:

stable seems not to be scheduled, yet: YunoRunner for CI

That’s the solution that worked: YunoRunner for CI

1 Like