Official topic for apps group news

Hello guys,

We’re finishing our meeting this evening, there was a long discussion about what we should do with our Official apps and the Official list itself.
Mainly, the matter was about the fact that nowadays Official apps sounds for many people like apps maintained by the Apps Group. Which is clearly not true !
That leads to a situation where most of our Official Apps are not really maintained anymore.
Also, we’re not integrating any other Official Apps since a while, because we don’t want to have more apps to maintained.
This discussion started with the current will of a Featured apps list.

The conclusion was finally

• Official apps are not relevant anymore.
  • We still want to highlight apps that are really well coded.
  • We also want to featured apps that are interesting for the community.

So we decided many things:

• We will get rid of the Official list, and official apps. In a while…
  • We will create a new list, possibly merge all apps into this new list and get rid as well of Community.
  • To keep back the idea of “Featured” apps, as I had defined in my recent PR. We decided it would be better to redefined the level above 7 and make a manual level 8 with this criteria.
  • Return to the idea of “Featured” apps, as Aleks as defined it, for apps that are interesting for the community. Maybe by a poll on the forum to decide which ones are going to be featured.

You’ll find the summary of this discussion on the pad.

But mainly, if I’m saying all of that here, that’s because I want you guys, member of @Apps group to tell me if you agree on the principle on this modification of our work.
Indeed, we wouldn’t have to take care of Official apps as we do now, nor reviewing PR the way we do it.
But we would have to validate demands for level 8, as they will have to be manually validated (by us), and, according to the criterion I’ve written, to validate any PR on this apps afterward.
So, it would be slightly different. And maybe, but not sure, an increase of our workload.

1 Like