Odd custom /etc/resolv.conf warning

Hardware: Old laptop or computer
YunoHost version: 11.2.8.2
I have access to my server : Through SSH + through the webadmin + direct access via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Hello everyone :wave:
Since yesterday I started getting a warning in my daily diagnosis, saying:
"[WARNING] DNS resolution seems to be working, but it looks like you’re using a custom /etc/resolv.conf.

• The file /etc/resolv.conf should be a symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf itself pointing to 127.0.0.1 (dnsmasq). If you want to manually configure DNS resolvers, please edit /etc/resolv.dnsmasq.conf."

Thing is, to my knowledge, I shouldn’t have anything like that since I am using one of the automatic domains provided by the yunohost project.

Does anyone have an idea how can I resolve this issue?
The only thing I can think of is that I have updated the yunohost version from 11.2.5 (afair) a couple of days before getting the warning and the day before I didn’t have internet connection during diagnosis so the errors were different. Don’t know if that helps…

Thanks in advance for any help!!

A quick look at the abovementioned file, /etc/resolv.conf, shows it has the following :

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
# 127... is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
# run "resolvectl status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

In case that helps anyone in helping me…

Actually, the warning states:

On my Yunohost, it looks like this:

# ls -l /etc/resolv.conf
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Oct 28  2021 /etc/resolv.conf -> /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf

The → behind /etc/resolv.conf indicates a symlink. Is it there, in your case?

1 Like

Hello @wbk
First of all many thanks for getting back to me!
So I followed your instructions and this is what I get when I run the ls -l command:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 Aug 12 13:23 /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

The odd thing is that when I try to find the abovementioned path (/etc/run/resolvconf/resolv.conf), it turns out there is no such file or directory (/etc/run). I don’t know if that helps with anything or not.

1 Like

Strange … the symlink is not correct. It should point to /etc/resolvconf..., not to /etc/run...

You could

$ ls /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf  # check that there is a result below:
/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf
$ sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
$ sudo ln -s /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf /etc/
$ ls -l /etc/resolv.conf # check for the correct output:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 31 Jan 12  2024 /etc/resolv.conf -> /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf

As always when copy/pasting commands from the internet: check that you understand what they do :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello again :grin:
Once I got back my machine (see the other post), yunohost was already up to date and running version 11.2.9.1. This somehow also fixed this issue and now I don’t get these warnings anymore. Hopefully it’ll stay like that :crossed_fingers:

Thanks for all the help, highly appreciated!!

That is nice to read, thanks for reporting back!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.