Notifications for system and / or app updates?

Just a thought:

How about, similar to notifications about abnormalities in the system, sending notifications from YunoHost when there are any updates in the system and / or in the apps?

1 Like

Hello,

Just install apticron (maybe installed by default ?)

You also could run yunohost tools update (or a script including this command) in a cron task.

1 Like

Thanks for these hints @Kit

Wouldnā€™t it be nice if it was installed and activated right away for new users?

According to the motto:

" YunoHost is an operating system aiming for the simplest administration of a server."

2 Likes

Hi,

I donā€™t know exactly if it could helps but there is the ā€œunattended upgradeā€ app in the catalog :

ppr

that is a good point.

I wonder if it could be made as part of diagnosis? that script runs via cron twice a day and emails the admin when there is a ā€˜problemā€™

maybe a ā€˜problemā€™ could be that there are updates available?

@arkadi

I wonder if it could be made as part of diagnosis?

That would probably be the best solution.

@ppr

I personally prefer updates that I can monitor.

With unattended upgrades, there is a possibility that something may go wrong, and the host operator may not be aware of this.

1 Like

Hello,

Yes, I prefer too.
So I use apticron ā€¦ but itā€™s only for Debian package, not for YunoHost apps and system :

Implementation in the diagnosis for Debian side with YunoHost apps and system could be a solution.
Unfortunately I have not this competence for now to make a pull request on GitHub.

ppr

And running yunohost tools update in a script / cronjob works, but sends email, whether there are updates or not.

Here is a small script which should send a mail only if there are updates. The part with a log file is optional but maybe could be usefull to know when the update ran for the last time.

Running twice yunohost tools update is a bit dirty, maybe there is a way to get the available update without running yunohost tools update a second time.

#!/bin/bash

LOG=($(eval echo ~$USER/update.log)) #log file for this script

date > $LOG

if yunohost tools update | grep "Nothing to do"  >/dev/null 2>&1; then
        echo "Nothing to update" >> $LOG
else
        yunohost tools update
        echo "Update available" >> $LOG
fi
2 Likes