No Connection from outside (Unitymedia/Vodafone, only IPv6)

Hello from Germany!

Thanks for all your effort to bring the not so tech-savvy people the free solution for self hosting :slight_smile:

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 at home
YunoHost version: 4.0.8.3 (stable)
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Description of my issue

I ran into maybe a typical problem in Germany with Vodafone/Unitymedia. My Yunohost-Server isn’t reachable from outside the home network. In their basic contracts they only support individual IPv6 addresses. They call it “dual stack lite” where maybe 40 people share one IPv4. With their router “Connectbox” you can filter ports with IPv6, which I did with TCP 80/443:

But still no connection from the outside. Inside my home network everything is fine!

What am I missing? :-/

Here is my diagnosis log

Your server is probably reachable only from an IPv6 connection…

If your IPv4 is shared between 40 people, you wont be able to self-host at home on IPv4 without a VPN with a dedicated public IP.

If you speak french you can ask Alsace Réseau Neutre for one (4€/month + 15€ membership fee) https://arn-fai.net/vpn . If no, i don’t know very well the german and english vpn providers that provide a full dedicated neutral ipv4.

Another solution could be to take a vps, or change of internet provider.

1 Like

Thanks for your answer! After a lot of headache i decided to invest 6€ into a netcup vps with an ipv4 and a domain. Now it’s all good. French would have been un petit problem for me :-D.

Thanks again, you set me to the right path!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.