Nextcloud VS ssh

My YunoHost server

Hardware: Computer at home
YunoHost version: 11.2.9.1
I have access to my server : Through SSH | through the webadmin | direct access via keyboard / screen
Are you in a special context or did you perform some particular tweaking on your YunoHost instance ? : no

Hi everyone ! I recently solved this small SSH issue by restricting my home folder permissions :

But now…

Description of my issue

Nextcloud cannot interact with my home folder (I guess because I removed the permission to do so).

What can I do about it ?

What are the recommended permissions for home folders ? All the users apart from me still have 775, while I change mine to 755 to please SSH. should I change all the permissions ?

I think this is not the first time I encounter this problem, does the nextcloud installation change /home permissions to a state that impact ssh keyfile authentication .

Did you check the permissions on your ~/.ssh/ folder prior to changing the permissions on your home folder?

As you might have found on the 'Net, permissions for ~/.ssh/ should be 700 (and 600 for ~/.ssh/authorized_keys, I read), but usually there is no reference to permissions on ~/ itself.

By the way, if you don’t mind elaborating, how / what for do you use Nextcloud access to your home folder? I wondered, but never tried found a use for it.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer <3

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:
Not much tbh, it was just a feature that seems easy to enable, and I am no sysedmin. I’m more used to a desktop use of debian, where your stuff belongs in the /home folder. So I figured this would be the way to go.

Oh maybe I will try that. I looked for sure but don’t remember. Is there a “common good practice” for /home permission ? Why not 700 for all home folder ? (Sorry if I miss something obvious, i’m really learning as I go :laughing:)

Back with some info : today, I went to check this (via ssh :sunglasses:) and the .ssh is indeed in 700 (and 600 for authorized_keys).

I did change my folder’s permission back to 775, and now nextcloud can write in there like before ! great ! Thank you so much :heart:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.